XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Elbow PV Problem (Maya)

11-13-2008, 02:44 AM
Being my first need-to-be-animated rig, I'm not 100% on the technicalities and workarounds for pole vectors, especially on a character like this. If I want to continue with this guy, I know he's going to need a lot of work, but besides that, it'll do for now.

All I'm looking for is a nice way of keeping the elbow/knee pole vectors in line with the joints until I need to move it off axis.

The PV curves are connected to the joint as the pole vector, and I have them grouped to themselves with the pivot on the elbow joint. Parent constraints seem to work OK, but I'm not sure. The plan is to dance, and I may have to change it to something less intense (which I might for the sake of keeping it simple), but movements such as arms around the back of the head, above the head, etc, are a bit of a pain cause the PV control doesn't move from it's zeroed position.

The rig is the digital tutors character setup rig. It's nice, but that pole vector problem seems overlooked.

11-13-2008, 04:18 PM
look into different control space switches for the ik control. Meaning, you can set up a series of constraints so that the controller and/ or pv control move with the head, hip, or nothing, etc. Then have a control to switch it. Shouldn't be too hard to setup.

otherwise, just use FK to hit those poses.

11-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Ok, so it's nothing super involved. I didn't think it would be, but thanks for the verification. :)

11-13-2008, 06:59 PM
if you look into the zooScripts, there is a way to setup switching in their tools. Its a nice rigging suite in general.

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2008, 06:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.