View Full Version : raycast selection?

chips__
06 June 2003, 12:03 PM
Hi,

does anyone have any ideas on how to do a selectin tool, that 'highlights' the object it's over, if it can be selected? I saw the animanium demos, and i really loved their method of selection! I guess it's a live version of XSI's raycast selection?

Levitateme
06 June 2003, 03:45 PM
yah, same in wings 3d its extremly fast way to get things moving if someone has soemthing that would be fantastic.

dwalden74
06 June 2003, 09:56 AM
Edit-> Paint Selection Tool

:beer:

chips__
06 June 2003, 10:27 AM
mmmm. what i want to do is something like the selection in animanium from sega... but maybe this tool can help me make a mel script ?
thanks

dwalden74
06 June 2003, 10:34 AM
I saw the demo, but don't remember how their selection works. Could you describe it?

-d

chips__
06 June 2003, 10:36 AM
I can try :p

it seems that it is always in selection mode, so if you just hold the cursor over a selectable part, it gets selcted. and you're always in the transform mode that suits the part you have selecter.. it looks very nice!

Levitateme
06 June 2003, 11:05 AM
in wings 3d its the exact same way. anyone know of a plugin/script i know alot of people would be all over it if this was made for maya. i see posts for it all the time.

Levitateme
06 June 2003, 11:06 AM
maybe someone can check out wings 3d

www.wings3d.com

download and take a look at it. that might get someone with mel/plugin savvy to get something made? i would love to but know very little mel.

dwalden74
06 June 2003, 01:46 PM
So you want to select something just by putting your mouse cursor over it? Too lazy to click I guess.... :p Anyway, you might be able to do this with a script job; not sure... I don't see this as very beneficial, personally. Also, if you just stick with the W E R transform keys your workflow stays pretty fast...

:beer:
David

chips__
06 June 2003, 02:02 PM
Yep, you're right, it's pretty fast, but i'm trying to build a rig/setup to make animation REALLY easy!! if you look at animanoum you'll know what i mean. I made a setup in max that was really cool, though nothing like animanium!

Levitateme
06 June 2003, 09:50 PM
dwaldel14,
its not being "lazy"? thats not fair to judge, if you have seen what raycasting does , im sure you have you should know its very very fast. you just hold your mouse and start selecting. i cant see how this couldnt not be benificial to people. wings 3d is great because of this, it also has a fall off for selecting,which i know maya users would love.

chips__

if your looking for something that animates like animaniium, i would check out motion builder, its by KAYDARA. it does the exact same thing as animanium for animation, we have it at work. i never messed around with it much though, but it animates the same way. if you check out there site, there are lots of videos for FREE by 3d buzz.

http://www.kaydara.com/support/documentation/kb/index.php?filename=video

but!, i fyou know about animanium you probally know about motion builder. also i go back to school this august so by ...june next year i should be able to write script that selects like raycasting...wanna wait? although im really suprised noone has made this yet. err made it available for public.

McMaster
06 June 2003, 10:45 PM
I haven`t ever got my hands onto wings3D yet, so do not really know what youre talking about, but I just read the post http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47098
and as I understand, someone has written exactly the stuff you want there! Maybe I`m wrong!?

Levitateme
06 June 2003, 10:54 PM
nope, thats another great great tool though. i emailed a guy last night, he said he made raycasting selection tool for maya, he is waiting for his copy of maya 5, once he gets it he will compile . he siad it will be a couple weeks. i hope he dont forget about the plight over here...

chips__
06 June 2003, 12:11 PM
Cool, i want that script :D hehe. I do know about motion builder, and have used it, and filmbox in general.. it's really nice, but i need these tools for custom rigs, so i kinda need them to be availabel inside of maya :scream: maybe i'm just a strange guy. ha!

Levitateme
06 June 2003, 09:19 PM
no, not strange its extremly useful! you played with wings 3d yet? there selection does all of that, and it has a fall off. fyi. like i was aying that guy said he will compile once he gets maya 5. once that happens im sure everyone will know about it. we just have to wait i guess.

chips__
06 June 2003, 08:38 PM
I'll have a look at wings 3d asap... cool

P

Levitateme
06 June 2003, 03:08 PM
man, i still cant belive this isnt out for maya. i talked to my friend who writes plugins, he is a TD. he is in the process of moving something about al his API stuff is on another computer, i didnt understand most of it. but he said that shouldnt be a problem, once he gets settled in he will look at how wings 3d works, then get back to me. i am hoping he gets all moved in this week. when he does ill bug him some more.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.