View Full Version : help please: graphic card for Maya

matscam
04 April 2002, 11:35 AM
can some please help me with advice on getting a graphics card for Maya - or 3d in general. I am quite new at this
I just dont know what to choose and I dont really want to go for the most expensive card.
I have read all soft of posts that say ATI is better than NVidia, and vice versa.
I have no idea what to get, and could possibly someone at least point me in the right direction.

I dont want to buy something something incompatible , or just a waste of money.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

p.s also advice on other components would be nice too .e.g processor, dual or not, and such things.

Dragonius
04 April 2002, 12:17 PM
what's your budget?
is it a dedicated system?
What else do you use your system for?

i go for nvidia my self but answers to the above should narrow the field...

matscam
04 April 2002, 12:25 PM
I would really like to get a card for less than $600.

As well as maya I want to use it for image editing, but not much else, I want to limit the use of other applications on it if I can help it.

what do you mean by 'dedicated system'?

also are dual processors worth investing in, will Maya be ok with a single processor? and is a single AthlonXP 2100 sufficient? or is it best to get a P4 (but they are so much more expensive)

sorry, lots of question :)

Stahlberg
04 April 2002, 06:37 PM
'Dedicated' here means 'only meant to be used for that'.
Dual is always better than single if you can afford it.
Seems most techies prefer Athlons.
(I'm not much of a techie myself.) :)
Don't know too much about cards, check out the xboxx site (www.boxxtech.com) their system is the only dual Athlon system that has been certified for Maya.

matscam
04 April 2002, 06:53 PM
thanks for the reply,

I had a look at these machine before,
but I have no idea how much they cost
I have read good things about them though.

I've heard Athlons get really hot though, does that affect performance? I guess it is just a matter of a good cooler, but I dont know exactly.

I was actually thinking of putting my own machine together, my colleagues told me that it is a cheaper option.

Ivars
04 April 2002, 08:58 PM
Athlon XP has proven to be faster than P4 in several tests.
The heating problem is not a problem as long as the cooling system works. If the fan should stop. Your athlon most likely will burn and maybe even destroy your motherboard, when a P4 will will probably handle it alot better.

phatgroovn
04 April 2002, 09:01 PM
Athlons to run quite a bit hotter. As long as you are careful, though, it shouldnt be a problem. If Athlons are running too hot, they will continue to run and burn themselves out. P4's, on the other hand, will scale back the mhz automatically when dangerous temperatures are reached - which might make them a bit of a safer choice for a novice system builder. Athlon is cheaper, with a better price/performance ratio, just make sure you get a couple of awesome fans....

matscam
04 April 2002, 09:08 PM
ok, thanks for the advice, I will think over the benefits of each one I have now learnt and decide soon.
but my hardware supplier just told me that a lot of the Athlons he has sold have come back to be fixed.
Do you think he sounds like a bad supplier or are Athlons unreliable? it could of course be that the workstation is not put together so well, but who knows.

Also I am quite interested in what tests show Athlon out performing the Pentium? can I see them somewhere on the net?

phatgroovn
04 April 2002, 09:14 PM
www.tomshardware.com

The 2.4 ghz P4 beats everything, but the Athlon XPs are the best for price/performance.

Stahlberg
04 April 2002, 07:17 AM
XBOXX price example:
Dual AMD Athlon® processors
AMD-760™ MP chipset
3GB 266MHz DDR
4X AGP Pro 50 graphics port
NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL
Onboard ATI Rage™ 4MB PCI graphics for second monitor
Dual-channel UltraDMA 100 IDE controller
80 GB 7500rpm hard disk
4700 USD (plus tax)

It's got 3 fans, and 3 years warranty, so I won't worry too much about the chips burning up. The hard disk is kinda slow but if I don't start disk-swapping when rendering that won't matter, and with 3 GB RAM I should be able to avoid that.

phatgroovn
04 April 2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Stahlberg
XBOXX price example:
Dual AMD Athlon® processors
AMD-760™ MP chipset
3GB 266MHz DDR
4X AGP Pro 50 graphics port
NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL
Onboard ATI Rage™ 4MB PCI graphics for second monitor
Dual-channel UltraDMA 100 IDE controller
80 GB 7500rpm hard disk
4700 USD (plus tax)

:drool:

I am looking that same Boxx, but i think i am going to wait until later in summer. Do you have it yet? Let me know how you like it... Oh yeah, love the presidential candidate guy you posted!

ilasolomon
05 May 2002, 04:12 AM
if you are a 3d artist...you must buy ..:

ATHLON XP/MP (MP for dual) + GOOD COOLING SYSTEM (6k rpm's OK)
DDR/fast SDRAM RAMs, 1GB atleast
nVIDIA GFORCE/QUADRO family cards
SCSI RAID HARD DRIVEs or FASTEST IDEs available

dmcgrath
05 May 2002, 08:40 AM
You don't need to have the BEST system available. I'm running just fine on a P3system/ 933mhz.
Unless you are going pro. Save some money. Unless, you are
:eek: :eek:
RICH
If you are, can I be your Friend?
:D

matscam
05 May 2002, 10:58 AM
well I was plannig to buy an Athlon XP, I think perhaps dual MPs are out of my price range right now.

Gforce card is also my choice, although I would like to get a Quadro instead, however also quite a lot more expensive than the Gforce range.

for a start I will get 1gb of RAM and then see where that takes me.

Also IDE drive is my choice, I have limited access to SCSI drives anyway, and I can't justify spending that amount of money unless I start making a return on my investment, then I will up the RAM and get a SCSI drive.

Since I am not so rich, does that mean no-one is my friend :)

dmcgrath
05 May 2002, 12:33 AM
I'll be your friend still. Now that we're friends...
Can I borrow five bucks?

matscam
05 May 2002, 12:37 AM
yes friend, when I win the lottery i have just entered :)

dmcgrath
05 May 2002, 01:05 AM
he he, now we are just wasting posting space.:shame:

romz
05 May 2002, 02:55 AM
Well now matter what, 3D labs graphic cards are always a safe bet. But I would really look into Nvidia's XGL cards. They look sweet, remember, you can always return it.

romz

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.