View Full Version : zdepth in seperate files

crgowo
06 June 2003, 06:00 PM
does combustion support the use of zdepth information in another file. kinda like "set matte"
like if i have a sequence renderd out in maya thats tga with zdepth the zdepth info will be stored in another file since tga doesnt support zdepth only alpha.. Thanks

Chris
06 June 2003, 09:50 PM
nope. However if you are just after Depth of field, using the luminance of your separate Z-Depth image sequence as the input for a compound blur will give you better results than the 3D post depth of field.

crgowo
06 June 2003, 03:34 AM
I have no idea as to waht you are talking about. :)

Chris
06 June 2003, 04:09 AM
righto. :) If you want to use the Z-Depth information to do a post Depth of Field (ie areas in focus/out of focus - as through a camera lens) in your animation (probably the most common use for Z-Depth information) you can in fact do it with a separate Z-Depth sequence. Most other uses for Z-Depth in combustion you cannot use a separate sequence for.

To use the Z-Depth info from another file sequence to do depth of field, you want to apply a compound blur operator to your image sequence (not the z-depth one, the other one). With compound blur, you can blur your image based on luminance (brightness/darkness) values in another image (your Z-Depth image - which should be a greyscale image). look up the compound blur operator in the manual & it will probably all become clear.

For more control, put a brightness/contrast operator on top of your Z-depth image & link the compound blur to that - you can then define the areas that are in focus/out of focus with the brightness/contrast controls...

on the other hand you might not want to do depth of field at all & I've just clogged up the internet with some more useless shizznet... :D What are you actually trying to do?

dg
06 June 2003, 06:05 AM
No, isn't "shizznet" at all, very cool and usefull info.

Thank's for the tip!
See Ya!:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.