View Full Version : Particle goal speed

rcronin
08 August 2008, 07:14 PM
Hi particle gurus@!
I have particles on a plane with the plane as a goal. The particles moves towards their goals very quickly, then slow down as they reach the goal. Is there an attribute to make the
particles reach their goal PP's at a uniform speed? I want a linear move without acceleration.
Cheers, Ryan.

*Another strange thing going on...has anyone tried to have particles travel across a curved surface (say a sphere) -surface as goal, colliding with surface with an instanced cube on the particles...?
As the instanced particles reach their goal, they become unstable and jittery. I've played with friction/resilience/tesselation still nothing.

drGonzo
08 August 2008, 06:16 AM
I have a particle on a plane with the plane as a goal. The particles moves towards the goal very quickly, then slows down as it reaches the goal. Is there an attribute to make the
particle reach the goal at a uniform speed? I want a linear move without acceleration.

Add goalU, V and parentU, V
Then in creation:
particleShape1.goalV= particleShape1.parentV;
particleShape1.goalU= particleShape1.parentU;
particleShape1.goalU = rand (0,1);

In runtime:
particleShape1.goalV +=.005//this is the speed of the parts

*Another strange thing going on...has anyone tried to have particles travel across a curved surface (say a sphere) -surface as goal, colliding with surface with an instanced cube on the particles...?
As the instanced particles reach their goal, they become unstable and jittery. I've played with friction/resilience/tesselation still nothing.

Try lowering the conserve a bit, or write an expression that increases the mass to 1000 when goalU/goalV = 1.

rcronin
08 August 2008, 07:11 AM
Thankyou kindly dr.
I'll try out these tests a.s.a.p. Cheers, rY

rcronin
09 September 2008, 04:17 PM
Hi There Gonzo,
This parent U/V expression doesn't seem to work for me. The particles move quickly towards the goal, slow down then repel in the other direction. Lowering speed stops the u/v reverse but the particles still have drag on them.
Basically I want to remove the default rushing then slowing (ease out) of the particles towards the goal and have them move at a constant, linear rate from the start until the end of the goal. PS these particles where drawn on the surface, then goaled to the surface.
Any ideas? rY

CGTalk Moderation
09 September 2008, 04:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.