View Full Version : Dynamic Rope Rig

xxthundrcatxx
08 August 2008, 08:27 PM
Does anyone have one they'd be willing to share?? It's for an animation I am doing involving a man trudging up a steep snowy hill while pulling a child seated in an inner tube. The rope would be taught while he tugs, interspersed with moments of slack when he is anticipating the next tug.

xxthundrcatxx
08 August 2008, 07:18 PM
Or a rig that can do what this rope does from 1:16 to 1:50 ish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-01mQvqAz0

Apparently it's an fk front with an ik back. I would be extremely grateful.

yenvalmar
09 September 2008, 06:27 PM
make a chain of bones in a slight arc, put an ik through it. attatch the base to your guy and the effector to the box (or th other way around! doesnt matter.) .

for some reason they have obviously used two IK chains in that animation, and i dont know why cause it looks bad.

i would just use 1 ik for the whole rope. it will be very similar to the hand drawn animation at the beginning, going from a straight line to a curve.

XminusOne
09 September 2008, 01:18 PM
yea...i'm afraid Ian has it right, why you would use 2 ik chains here is beyond me. One ik chain going either way would work.

CGTalk Moderation
09 September 2008, 01:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.