Lost Adventurer, Aleks Kirilenko (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Camera Match to video in XSI?

04-24-2002, 07:02 AM
I am considering the purchase of either Maya or XSI v2. I'm interested in knowing if XSI has direct support for the following (built-in), if it's available via plug-in or if it's necessary to use a 3rd party solution.

* Camera Matching - does XSI have an integrated module to track live action footage to support the addition of 3d elements?

* RIB support - can XSI export the geometry and materials to RIBs for rendering in BMRT?

* Trees / Foliage - I'm guessing XSI doesn't have an equivilant to Paint FX in Maya, but... what is the normal process for adding trees, grass and other foliage?

Thanks for the help guys.

04-24-2002, 07:20 AM
Unfortunately XSI doesn't have any of features you mentioned.

I know that Animal Logic is working on a RIB translator and it should be out within months (or maybe I'm just wrong).

As for the other features, maybe in a future release.....

Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

04-24-2002, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the reply Atyss.

If XSI doesnt have integrated support for those features can anyone mention a plugin or separate 3rd party application that they would recommend?

Also...one more feature

* Footsteps in snow or on grass - does XSI have support for deformation of a mesh from say footsteps (ie in the snow)? What about using XSI's fur as a grass shader but having the grass compress as a character walks on it?

04-26-2002, 03:09 PM
yes you can do footsteps, either with softbodies or with fur/hair
you should go to softimage.com and see the tour of XSI videos, i think they have a ball rolling onver the grass video which looks sweet

04-26-2002, 03:22 PM
There are two programs that are definitely worth looking in to. Boujou (http://www.2d3.com/) and Match mover from www.realviz.com.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.