View Full Version : Turn off Paint Effects evaluation?

dEnbom
06 June 2008, 02:08 PM
Hi'yall fellow artists, really could use your help on this one...

Short version: Does anybody know how to turn off Paint Effects-evaluation?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm making a short commercial in sort of a stylized manner, and I have this plane covered in grass and in the grass I have a bunch of paintFX flowers. Starting to get quite satisfied with the setup and now I want to start animating my camera through the "field of flowers" (about 10-20 PFX-flowers-mesh converted to polygons and together they count up to something like 250.000 faces)

Now, I can pan, dolly and orbit freely in the sceene without any hickups or lag, but when I start to jump around in time, performance is reaaaaally sluggish (playblasting the 375 frames takes about 5 minutes) which makes it very hard to animate the camera at all.

I've already thrown away the grass (can put it in before rendering) and the only conclusion I can make from this is that the paintFX-node is evaluating for eventual flow animation (which there are none yet).

Does anybody know how to turn off Paint Effects-evaluation for now? I want them visible but not to be able to move for now.

Greatly thankful for any response on this as it's kinda threatening to compromise my deadline.

.dE

eyesonlybob
06 June 2008, 03:06 PM
You could bake the simulation. That should speed things up. Or, duplicate all the grass and flowers, delete history and assign to a separate layer. Then you can switch between grass that is animated (with turbulance or such) and the grass that is not animated.

dEnbom
06 June 2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah thanks, that's a good idea... I just broke the connection with time1.timeOut for now... Your way is alot better :)

Also, any suggestions on a subtle motion in maya fur that I've used for grass? Just some kind of turbulence... I was thinking of trying a subtle animation on the roll attribute.

plug3
06 June 2008, 03:28 PM
Using layers is good. Instead of duplicating your grass you can set an overide on the turbulence in the force tab of your brush. Set it to 0.

Duncan
06 June 2008, 06:48 PM
.. Does anybody know how to turn off Paint Effects-evaluation for now? I want them visible but not to be able to move for now...

Set paint effects to "interactive" in the performance options window.

Duncan

Aikiman
06 June 2008, 09:18 PM
Also, any suggestions on a subtle motion in maya fur that I've used for grass? Just some kind of turbulence... I was thinking of trying a subtle animation on the roll attribute.

Attach dynamic hair system to your fur.

CGTalk Moderation
06 June 2008, 09:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.