View Full Version : Can you render a scene with each object being on a separate .PSD layer?

AmericanXer0
06 June 2008, 09:37 PM
I'm trying to figure out how I can render a scene, but have every individual object be on its own image layer so I can take the render into Photoshop to do some post processing. Is there any way to do this?

AmericanXer0
06 June 2008, 09:58 PM
Well, I found a way to render all of the objects separately in a way that I can bring each one into Photoshop, but I don't know how to render an object without the sky. I'm probably missing something right in front of my face, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Mike.H
06 June 2008, 12:13 PM
since you´ve found the solution to render a psd with layers from vue6 you should be able to find the alpha´s of each object aswell since you control that in the same place as you control everything else that should end up in your psd.

i dont have vue6 in front of me so i cant do a screenshot for you, but the other way is to just do a transparent png render.

AmericanXer0
06 June 2008, 06:02 PM
Funny thing is, when I choose to save a render as .PNG, it doesn't come out as transparent. I know it used to do this for me, since I have a few saved images where the sky is transparent. I have Vue 6.5, and I think the images with a transparent sky were done in 5.0 and 6.0. Do you know if they got rid of this feature in 6.5+, or am I just looking in the wrong direction?

The steps I took before were:
1. Render an image to screen
2. Saved it as a .PNG image

Before, that would save the image with a transparent sky, but now it's saving the image completely.

Thanks for your reply!

AmericanXer0
06 June 2008, 12:09 AM
One more update...

It appeared that saving a transparent PNG wasn't working, but it was due to this being a night time scene. When I saw the terrains and plants coming in as near black I thought it was rendering the image as black and white only. So, it turns out I may have solved my own problem.

CGTalk Moderation
06 June 2008, 12:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.