View Full Version : File Stream problem.

Guiniture
06 June 2008, 11:29 AM
Hi,

I have a simple problem that I know using file stream should solve but im confused when using file stream.
Here is what i want to do:

I have a grid of boxes in a scene, some are red and some are white. What i want to do is store their positions and colors on file so that if i can upload them easily later.

So firstly i have made an array and stored the information in binary form:

boxpos = #()
for i in allboxes do
(
if (i.material.diffuse as string) == (color 252 0 0 a string) do (append boxpos 1)
if (i.material.diffuse as string) == (color 255 255 255 as string) do (append boxpos 0)
)

So know i have an array which holds all the information I need, I want to save this array to a text file on my desktop. Then I also need to know how to open the text file and get the array back into max.

If anybody can help that would be great!

Cheers.

decapitator
06 June 2008, 11:58 AM
Here is an example of saving/loading an array writing the array is a bit wierd added the main array in another array.
Dont know if its me or maxscript why just print array to:filestream prints each item on a seperate line now, in another script of mine its fine with a bitarray might be different in saving.
(
--saving part
if (doesFileExist "c:/test.txt") == false then --check for file
fs = createFile "c:/test.txt" --create if its not there
else
fs = openFile "c:/test.txt" mode:"w" --else open it mode w for writing

--can be shortened to:
--if (fs = openFile file mode:"w") == undefined do fs = createFile file

somearray = #("item1","item1"); --set random array
print #(somearray) to:fs --print the array to the filestream resource
close fs --close the fs

--loading part
fs = openFile "c:/test.txt" mode:"r" --open file for reading
loadedArray = execute fs --reads the filestream and executes it
close fs --close the filestream

print loadedArray --prints the loaded array
)
Together with the manual this should be enough for you to translate it to your needs.

Guiniture
06 June 2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks for that! I managed to write the array to file and reload it into a new maxscript window.

But the problem i have now is that the reloaded array only contains the first 20 digits. :

#(0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, ...)

I have 2400 digits in the array altogether. I have tried reading the file using : readDelimitedString, but that did not seem to work.

Is this a problem with the way I am writing the array to file?

Thanks again for the help.

decapitator
06 June 2008, 12:35 PM
Take a look at http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5179216&postcount=2 on the part how I read the string, you might have to execute it seperatly then but that seemed to work on larger files acording to him.

Guiniture
06 June 2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the help, this seemed to do the trick in the end.

for download:

fs = createfile c:\test.txt

for i in array_01 do
(
print #(i) to: fs
)
close fs

for upload:

fs = openfile "c:/test.txt"
while eof fs == false do
(
w = readline fs
append array_01 (w as integer)
)
close fs

Bobo
06 June 2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks for that! I managed to write the array to file and reload it into a new maxscript window.

But the problem i have now is that the reloaded array only contains the first 20 digits. :

#(0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, ...)

I have 2400 digits in the array altogether. I have tried reading the file using : readDelimitedString, but that did not seem to work.

Is this a problem with the way I am writing the array to file?

Thanks again for the help.

Check out the topic "PrintAllElements Variable and Context" in the MAXScript Help!

CGTalk Moderation
06 June 2008, 02:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.