View Full Version : How to replace character in a text file?

OZRay
05 May 2008, 05:26 PM
Hi scripters!

I was thinking that this is easy to do but after starting it I found that it's alot more complicated that I expected...
I have DXF file (text file) that I need to seek in and replace " by inches , by _
So I need to go read everything in the file line by line and replace those characters.
I know that I can do with with note pad or other text editor but it's something that
I need to do on new files everyday so I need to do it in msx to incorporate it into
other tools that I made.

Is there someone that can help me with this?
A kind of replace in file.

Regards,

OZRay

decapitator
05 May 2008, 08:00 PM
There might be a shorter solution but im just a beginner when it comes to maxscript but I did manage to get it to work.

I've created a function for you which worked here (need max2008+ since im using the substitudeString function from max, if you dont have those versions look up replace() in the max help, but that makes it a bit more complex since you need to find out the position of the characters in the file with findstring())

Anyhow here is my functionfn fReplace file str rep =
(
if (doesFileExist file) != false AND str.count == rep.count then --check if file exists and if replacements are equal
(
fs = openFile file mode:"r" --open the fileStream for reading only
content = readChars fs (getFileSize file) errorAtEOF:false --read filesize amount of chars (thats all) from file into variable.
close fs --close fileStream

for i = 1 to str.count do content = substituteString content str[i] rep[i] --set content to replace value

fs = openFile file mode:"w" --open file for writing and clear it
format content to:fs --write the content variable to the fileStream
close fs --close fileStream
)
)
fReplace "c:/tst.txt" #("\"",",") #("inches","_")
The usage is there as an example what it does is replace items from array 1 with array two so fReplace "path/to/file.whatever" #("Hello","world") #("Hi","there") in the string "Hello world!" would replace hello with hi, and world with there so in this case "Hi there!" is returned (to the file).

Hope this helps!

OZRay
05 May 2008, 08:36 PM
Wow! Thanks a lot !!!

This is what I was looking for!

Regards,

OZRay

CGTalk Moderation
05 May 2008, 08:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.