View Full Version : maya hair
05 May 2008, 06:14 AM
I was curious about - What is the most effective way to get the perfect maya hair style,
how can i comp the hair in maya ,
and about the colour, how i can get perfect colour in maya hair .
thanks in advance
05 May 2008, 05:18 PM
What are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to do a specific hairstyle? More info is needed to give you any kind of constructive answer.
05 May 2008, 07:35 PM
my suggestion would be to use shave and haircut to achieve the style and look...
05 May 2008, 08:57 PM
Creating curves and lofting, rebuild surfaces, extract curves then convert to hair can be tedious but gives you good control over your hairstyles.
05 May 2008, 01:27 PM
thank you guys
I am trying to achieve Long hair , Dynamic hair ,and nice colour in it .
for render it should be time saving . the important thing is that should support sumulation with gravity,air and collide with objects.
i attached the ref image
please give me a nice idia in maya hair
05 May 2008, 01:32 PM
i uplode the ref image now
06 June 2008, 10:38 AM
i am waiting for your ideas
guys help me
06 June 2008, 10:45 PM
Well, I would break this up into three sections: The bangs, the back part of the head, then the long hair strands. I would make the long strands dynamic.
The comping can be done in post (render with an alpha) or just let it comp in during the render.
The color can be achieved by typing in the RGB value for the hair. Exact color can be tricky, as you will have to play with the base color, the tip color (usually the base is a bit darker than the tip), and the specular color.
06 June 2008, 10:59 PM
You can totally get something like that with maya hair.
1. make sure u duplicate the head geo and delete all the faces except for the scalp part.
2. either parent that geo to the head joint or wrap deform it to the head
3. start creating curves - using your cv curve tool try to style the hair. u can do one half and then mirror everything to the other side. The more curves u got the better result u'll get at the end. ( make sure the base of the curves are close to the scalp geo)
4. when you think u got enough curves select them all and shift select your scalp geo.
5. go to hair >> make selected curves dynamic option box. make sure snap base curve to surface in ON (this is gonna create a new set of dynamic hairs for you). HIT PLAY. the hair should go crazy.
6. select one of the dynamic curves (blue ones) and hit the UP arrow key in order to select the whole group. GO TO YOUR FIRST FRAME and then go to hair>> set start position >> from current.
7. you need to attach some painteffects strokes to the dynamic hairs; create a sphere on the side and selet a face from the sphere. go to hair >> create hair option box. make sure "at selected points/faces is on" and also make sure that OUTPUT is set to paint effects and nurbs curves.
hit create ....
8. if you didnt have any other hairsystems in your scene you should get a very crappy painteffects strokes on your original character/model ...
9. now we gotta delete this sphere; before deleting it, select the sphere and go to hair >> paint hair follicles option box and make sure you set it to delete follicles. paint on top of the sphere in order to get rid of the follicle. when it's deleted u can delete the sphere.
10. back to your character; select the stroke and go to your hair system attributes.
11. make sure hairs per clumb is set to something around 50 to 150 ( this totally depens on your original curves and how u modeled/styled the hair).
12. you shouldn't see a change because your clump width is set to 0. set clump width to 1-3ish. ( this depends on the gap between your original curves.
13. make sure u increase your sub segments. 3-4ish
14. increase your thinning in order to get rid of that clean cut look.
15. your clumb width ramp should be adjusted too ( based on your hair style) i usually do a straight line all the way up. ( that's a base/tip control)
i can go on and on and on but this is basically how u start hair.
I can post some pictures of what i've done before with maya hair.
the most important part is when you create the base curves. After that it's just tweaking.
06 June 2008, 03:56 AM
I just read your question again .... it has nothing to do with creating the hair. I'm so sorry... I'm stupid ... I go cry now
06 June 2008, 05:30 AM
thank you guys
thank you very much for ur ideas
in shave and haircut if we want to comb we can do that , like that maya have any brushes to comb or style the hair system
i am going to try those techniques and i will get back to you
06 June 2008, 05:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.