View Full Version : ITFR2090

05-25-2008, 11:59 PM
I was always fascinated by the possibility that one day scientists might be able to build a working fusion power reactor.
Such a device will have the potential to produce inexhaustible amounts of electricity and eliminate the need to burn fossil fuels - one of mankind's biggest problems.

The idea behind the image is that in the year 2090, a giant fusion reactor will be built in a geostationary earth-orbit, supplying earth with clean electricity. The energy is beamed to a ground receiver using a microwave beam. ITFR stands for International Thermonuclear Fusion Reactor. It'll be the commercial successor of ITER, which is actually in development right now.

I was inspired by technical exploded assembly drawings and schematic views. Regarding the colour-scheme, I wanted to create a warm, energetic feeling in order to create a sense of the reactor's power. Because of the rotational symmetry of the reactor design, I decided to arrange my elements strictly symetrical, as well.
All 3D-elements were created with Maya and rendered with mental ray. Fractals created in Apophysis. Composited with Photoshop.

For more information on fusion power go to or

Hope you'll enjoy it!

05-28-2008, 10:24 AM
ManuelM I love this picture. The colour choice is great, and your use of the borders with the sunburst style effect works brilliantly. The only thing I would say is that before reading your explanation (sounds like really cool technology btw), I thought that it was a big spaceship blasting the earth with a big ray gun lol. I guess that would be down to my fondness for films of that genre influencing my interpretation though :). Great work.

05-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Should have made it landscape...

and that is my only crit.

But I love the rest. The colours and effects are all nice. The subtle explosion in the background is a nice touch.

05-29-2008, 06:06 AM
thanks for your feedback!

MrHappy: Actually it was my intention to show that technology can be a curse and a blessing at the same time, so I don't mind if the reactor might be misinterpreted as a devide that is threatening earth.

redbyte: I made a design using a landsape layout but finally decided not to submit it as I find the portrait format much more dynamic. I hope that for future challenges artists won't get those kind of restrictions any more, forcing their designs into a certain format.

05-31-2008, 05:07 PM
I like this alot too, manuel, nice and clean and the cell-made earth is just right up my alley! Would've liked to see it bigger!

06-03-2008, 03:39 AM
thx a lot krisla. here's two close-ups to give you an idea of the detail at print res...

06-03-2008, 03:47 AM
this look sick ...!!
i really like it ..
would make a nice scrren background :-)

06-03-2008, 04:05 AM
this is awesome Manuel. i like it alot. the color combination and design is superb

06-03-2008, 04:38 AM

This is really good.

06-03-2008, 05:11 AM
Hiya Manuel! Glad to see you participating in a cgchallenge! I really like the translucent hexagons forming the world's continents. The fusion reactor seems to be built from basic structures. I would have like to see even more energy flowing around inside the reactor. The particle smoke effect permeating the background is a great subtle touch.

Overall it looks like a slick poster for a science convention. Great work, Manuel! :)

06-03-2008, 05:42 AM
Very nice! Warm, welcoming and sinister. Looks like an evil corporate control station. Fractals are a nice touch.

06-03-2008, 06:49 AM
I absolutely love it, it would make a great poster, color tones are really nice, I like how the energy flows.

Pedro Pozo
06-03-2008, 06:50 AM
wow I'm very much impressed with this render , whoever did it is a real master

06-03-2008, 07:15 AM
i like the tone and color of this. Also the concept behind it is quite cool.

06-03-2008, 07:52 AM
great job Manuel, it's good to see you posting again :)
This one looks really sweet ;)

06-04-2008, 05:50 AM
Sweet artwork man. I like the idea. At the rate we are going, the scientists probably have to do that for real for the survival of our planet :)

06-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Hey Manuel!

I like the work, cool to see you posting up new stuff! I take it you finished your Bangkok temple? :)

Anyway, I am really glad you put up the closeups. I love the subtle fractle effects and the concept and meaning is pretty cool - nice to see art pieces with so much thought behind it.

The station is nicely done, it has this somewhat of a MC escher effect btw. The way you did the partial "under contruction" look as a way to show whats going on inside really makes the image look so much more interesting. Love the details there.

Anyway Cheers man, good job!

06-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Wow man, the details are just amazing. i've got to say i really like how the "energy" flows around. i think you should render another angle and submit again in landscape man. seriously, it doesn't hurt anyway, right? :)

06-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Great work Manuel! I've also been very fascinated by fusion power. I'm sure you've already read up on the tokamak reactor :) One day we can only hope that power is that easily available to the world. Keep up the good work! Oh, I love the use of hexagons to create the continents. They keep that nice blend of science and art together. It kinda reminds me of the core elements of a nuclear reactor. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
06-04-2008, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.