View Full Version : Animating frame Output Size...

Kramsurfer
05 May 2008, 05:36 PM
I know the output size is non-animatable and non changable once the renderer is started, but I was just wondering if anyone found a hacky way to do this? Or do I need to submit a whole bunch of seperate jobs to a queue.....

Thanks...

davestewart
05 May 2008, 05:51 PM
I've written a couple of tools in my time that might help you. Can you be more specific, and I'll see if I can dig them out?

Kramsurfer
05 May 2008, 05:54 PM
I've an animated FOV on a camera and I want the output Image Size to scale with the increase or decrease in FOV.

Thanks

davestewart
05 May 2008, 05:58 PM
Ah, OK. The things I've written wouldn't do that - they were more for storing all sorts of render settings as presets.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to just write a little script?

for t = animationrange.start to animationrange.end do
(
slidertime = t
-- get fov
-- do trig
-- do width / height
-- filename = ""
render to:filename size:[width,height]
)

Kramsurfer
05 May 2008, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I guess individual local renders are an idea, we've a pretty good size farm here so our Animation Sup. doesn't like to see local renders.... "You could be modeling, texturing or lighting something..." whip whip.... ha ha...

davestewart
05 May 2008, 06:29 PM
I don't know if you an submit stuff to the renderfarm by script, but another option might be to render full size, with a key-green mask (geometry or something), then do the cropping in Photoshop with actions.

You just need to go "record" > Magic Wand the top left corner > Invert selection > Crop > Stop recording, then run the action as a batch job from the file menu.

Should be pretty straightforward.

Strange request anyway - why do you want different sized images?

Kramsurfer
05 May 2008, 06:56 PM
For a Pan Tile type tool to render nodal pans.
You have a camera in a 3d scene that is doing a nodal pan. aka it doesn't move, just rotates.

You can render overlapping "Cards" to cover the entire pan in with a few carefully selected frames. Those cards need to be bigger than cameras FOV, and it's handy if you can change the size of each card individually.

So I have a right turning pan of 100 degree ending looking up 50 degrees, I might need three cards. The first and last card are 10% bigger than the orginial animation Camera, the middle card is 20% bigger. You can spend your render time on three stills, then "paint" on these cards to add whatever, and render the final animation scanline.

Good page on the technique.
http://www.digitalartform.com/archives/2004/11/nodal_point_pan_2.html

Att: image of a test scene and the tool

davestewart
05 May 2008, 08:55 AM
Ah, I see now. Quicktime has successfully been doing this for years: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/qtvr/

There's some software here as well, if you think any of it might be useful in other areas: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/tools/qtvr.html

The whole 20% thing is a bit of a red herring I think, as is the multiple overlapping aspect. Although I get now why you want different-sized cards to paint onto.

Anyway, I hope you're having fun!

Dave

CGTalk Moderation
05 May 2008, 08:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.