LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Comet Animation

05-08-2008, 12:05 AM

Im trying to put together a little space scene, a comet circling the sun and approaching a planet, and I would love it if you guys could give it a quick look and perhaps give me some pointers or direct me to some good tutorials about creating a good looking comet and/or a sun.

The video is at :

Thanks in advance

05-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Still no reply, but here is the first update, trying to get that comet looking half decent.

05-08-2008, 08:55 PM
OK mate, the building blocks are all there.

If I could make a couple of suggestions:

1 - have the camera moving a little bit, it's too static, even if it's just trucking slowly forwards or panning across.

2 - are the particles floating upwards from the comet? if so that looks weird, and they look a little too big.

3 - the plane energy wave things want to be moving or doing something - if the planet didnt have so much going on, but it looks like something should be happening.

05-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Hey, thanks for the comments !

Did some speed tweaks, panned the camera a little, lowered the particle count on the tail along with pointing it the other way, added some sun stuff.

Its coming along, Been trying like crazy to find an old solar flare tutorial I came across a while ago, feel like the sun needs more life, but my googling isnīt coming up with much and my skill with dynamics and compositing isnīt really that great (Being a character animator, not a space scene animator :) )

The lighting on the planet is WELL off, if there are any planetary lighting experts out there that can leave some tips I would be eternally grateful

Also, that tail is just not doing it for me, Iīve tried various approaches and none of them seem to be working properly.

06-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Well, Not really anything happening in this thread, but here is still an update,

and as always, just a link to a good tutorial or anything, could really use some help before I decide to toss this clip in the bin

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2008, 10:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.