View Full Version : Creating a wind direction arrow

lxdengar
05 May 2008, 12:18 AM
Hi all,

I was looking for some guidelines that would help me create a wind direction arrow. An arrow that would attach to dynamics field and point in the direction of the force. Has anyone tackled something like this before and could give me a few pointers?

Thanks!

Demno
05 May 2008, 09:32 AM
When I read your post I made a quick test. It turned out ok. The way I did it was to aimconstrain my arrow to a locator in one axis, I then parented the locator to a rigid body ("windsensor") that was affected by the fields. After that I nail constrained the windsensor to the arrows base. This worked nice, but to get a realistic movement you have to be very precise with your fields or this setup will just send the arrow spinning. I guess you could just put a big radial field volume with negative magnitude around it all so keep the windsensor from disappearing if you don't want to go the nail constraint way.

fedayi
05 May 2008, 05:44 PM
intresting, never done anything like that before, but would love to give it a shot, give me a day or so, let me finish on a few things, and ill test it out, post a file or images to show what i did.

MikeRhone
05 May 2008, 07:48 PM
Hmmm I may have misread what you were looking for... are you looking to use the object to control the fields, or the fields to control the weather vane?

CGTalk Moderation
05 May 2008, 07:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.