Lost Adventurer, Aleks Kirilenko (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Car body smooth problem

04-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi, I'm using 3D Studio Max to create my first ever car. I'v made it in low poly, but I want to smooth it off and add more polys to it using meshsmooth. But when ever I do that, it rounds off all the corners, how do I do it so that it only smooths the surface of the car?

Non smooth version

Smooth version

04-30-2008, 08:33 PM
You have to add more geometry to "tighten" up the edges and create sharper corners.

Have a look at THIS (http://www.danielbuck.net/index.php?page=door_tut/doortut)to get a better idea of what i mean.

05-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Exactly. Just add some holding edges to define the hard edge. More edge loops around the corners will make it sharper.

05-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Chamfer your edges. Works like a charm.

07-07-2008, 05:15 AM
To smooth a mesh, one MUST understand how "holding edges", "control loops", or "shape loops" (other names exist but escape me at the moment) work. When you Sub-d or smooth a mesh, the smoothing algorithm finds a medium between each 2 connected points, then rounds that edge. A control edge causes the subdivided shape to look closer to the regular poly model.

Here is a link to a tutorial on how subdivision modeling works -

if you read it and the subsequent pages, you should understand exactly how this process works, and how to get the shapes you want with the smoothness you need.

10-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Nice tut Gobley, Just support the harder edges with edge loops like every one else said.

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2008, 08:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.