LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : help! - unfurl flowing banner

04-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Hey Guys,

I need some help. I need to animate a banner unfurling. It needs to keep a rough shape, enough so that I can put text on the face of it. But it also needs to flow really loosely and organically. I've posted 2 animations. One is the flowing animation.

The movies take a little while to load. Please be patient.

This is pretty good but I need to loosen up the joints. The 2nd is the unfurling. I need my flowing cloth to follow this shape but not too closely.

I've tried animating the unfurling and attracting an Ncloth to it, but it gets bunched up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

04-24-2008, 12:19 PM
definitely a job for nCloth
wind attribute and some pin contraints, maybe with spring constraints aswell.

I saw a Maya tutorial from Alias/Autodesk once with a pirate flag which did something quiet similar.

04-25-2008, 12:12 AM
I would use ncloth and flood 100% input mesh attract so that the cloth follows the polys exactly. Then paint lower values on the input mesh attract where you need it to flow. That would give you a lot of control of exactly what is moving and how much. I've had a lot more success painting values like this than with the various ncloth constraints. Time spent up front on the initial poly animation to make sure nothing is intersecting can save a lot of ncloth troublshooting on the back end. Though you may not even need any ncloth collisions turned on in this case.

04-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks. I'll give it a shot

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2008, 12:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.