View Full Version : Position Dialogs?

drdubosc
04 April 2008, 10:46 AM
Can you set the position/size of the Max's native dialog windows, (Material Browser, etc) at runtime, via MaxScript?

ZeBoxx2
04 April 2008, 11:10 AM
some yes, some no.

The UI accessor (Max 2008) doesn't appear to have a way to get/set the UI dialog's position (d'oh). If you can get the HWND of the dialog, you should be able to reposition any dialog using .NET; I wouldn't know how, though :)

For the material editor and other dialogs that store their position in the 3dsmax.ini file, try adjusting that ini file. I.e.

( please back up 3dsmax.ini before mucking around with it )
setIniSetting ((getDir #maxdata) + "3dsmax.ini") "MtlEditorPosition" "MainWindow" "400 100 367 655"

That should have medit open in the specified position next time it opens, presuming that position wasn't overwritten since you changed it.

drdubosc
04 April 2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks, that gives me something to chew on ... Find The Handle :rolleyes: ... I wanted to write a little utility to reset dialogs to default positions at runtime. (The problem of dialogs disappearing when going from 2 to 1 screen setups comes up so often)

ZeBoxx2
04 April 2008, 12:01 PM
the ini is probably your best bet, then. There's command-line utilities available that will let you easily position a dialog (or even UI control) based on the window title/etc. but they all require that window to actually be open at that time; makes sense, but doesn't help you much if you only later open the window and go "&$#*($# must be on the other non-existant screen again!" :)

drdubosc
04 April 2008, 01:57 PM
the ini is probably your best bet, then.... There's command-line utilities ... but they all require that window to actually be open at that time....

I suppose the window is open, even if it's offscreen? In the end, though, I suspect you're right. The best thing to do is put up with a restart, and edit the ini file.

ZeBoxx2
04 April 2008, 02:42 PM
I suppose the window is open, even if it's offscreen?
Correct

The best thing to do is put up with a restart, and edit the ini file.
well, if you go with the..
setIniSetting ((getDir #maxdata) + "3dsmax.ini") "MtlEditorPosition" "MainWindow" "400 100 367 655"
..bit, then you shouldn't have to restart max. However, I don't think -all- of the dialogs' positions are stored/retrieved from it... the big ones (material editor, render dialog, VFB, material/map browser, effects/environment, etc.) are, though - so that should go a long way.

PEN
04 April 2008, 03:07 PM
Some are stored in the Max file, I don't know how to get at these. What a shame.

LoneRobot
04 April 2008, 03:26 PM
might be missing something obvious here, but couldnt you just reset by closing it, setting the ini and then reopening?

MatEditor.Close()
setIniSetting ((getDir #maxdata) + "3dsmax.ini") "MtlEditorPosition" "MainWindow" "0 0 360 665"
MatEditor.Open()

drdubosc
04 April 2008, 07:24 PM
Aaaaah!:lightbulb Thanks, all. I thought the .ini file was only read on startup! (It's in the name, I suppose). Well, I learned something today.

CGTalk Moderation
04 April 2008, 07:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.