View Full Version : Net Render Error - Upload in Progress

entourage714
04 April 2008, 08:01 PM
Hello,

We are using a Mac to edit files on our c4d farm. We shared the folder administrator out on our c4d server. when the mac user edits a file in there and saves it back, we try to start the render, we get an error "error - upload in progress"

When we use a pc to save the files, we do not get any errors.

The folder permission is set to everyone with full access.

thanks,
johnny

govinda
04 April 2008, 02:56 AM
Does it stop you from rendering?

entourage714
04 April 2008, 03:00 AM
Yea, when we click the start in the net render web gui it prompts an error. we have to recreate it and edit it on a pc, then we can click start and it work.

JoelDubin
04 April 2008, 03:05 AM
Same question as govinda

Are your texture files or project files especially large? If so--sometimes it takes a bit of time to transfer those large files to each client overt he network before it is ready to start rendering.

entourage714
04 April 2008, 03:08 AM
not big at all. we tested a small file. something about the mac transfering files to that share folder. when a pc saves a file on the share folder it works fine. when the mac saves it on that share folder it errors out. we've tried all different size files.

JoelDubin
04 April 2008, 01:03 PM
Oh--I've forgetten to mention...

HERES YOUR PROBLEM--

When you save a file from mac to pc it creates a duplicate dummy file with an underscore, ie: "_.project.c4d" that really hs no data in it. I think it holds the icon display info and is invisble on a mac or is generated on a pc kind of like the invisible DS Store files that macs generate. THIS FILE NEEDS TO BE DELETED in order to run the file from NET. I need to go through this same procedure everytime--deleting the file b4 starting the render. This file shows up if you open the file from a mac and alter the file as well. a PITA--but once you get used to it its not too bad.

dann_stubbs
04 April 2008, 04:33 PM
Oh--I've forgetten to mention...

HERES YOUR PROBLEM--

When you save a file from mac to pc it creates a duplicate dummy file with an underscore, ie: "_.project.c4d" that really hs no data in it. I think it holds the icon display info and is invisble on a mac or is generated on a pc kind of like the invisible DS Store files that macs generate. THIS FILE NEEDS TO BE DELETED in order to run the file from NET. I need to go through this same procedure everytime--deleting the file b4 starting the render. This file shows up if you open the file from a mac and alter the file as well. a PITA--but once you get used to it its not too bad.

yes joel is right - with OSX 10.5 and how it generates a preview icon for everything these are out of control. i've at one time unzipped a plugin for my farm on my OSX 10.5 box and when moved the file to a PC it generated tons of errors as it was trying to load all the . files instead of the actual files. a real pain and annoying. but now i just be sure to unzip files only on the PC before installing so these invisible icon files are not corrected.

i think joel is right as the NET Server may be trying to read the . files instead - they do show in the project listing page on NET Server and you can just usually delete them (one at a time though since that is all NET Server allows) and it should them render ok

dann

JoelDubin
04 April 2008, 05:49 PM
Yeah--its one of those things I hope that gets fixed somehow. I dont know if its a NET thing or a mac-->windows thing. Maybe script can be run on the PCs to automatically delete these files.

dann_stubbs
04 April 2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah--its one of those things I hope that gets fixed somehow. I dont know if its a NET thing or a mac-->windows thing. Maybe script can be run on the PCs to automatically delete these files. It makes doing remote rendering impossible in my case--as I can access my NET render interface remotely but not all the PC clients.

it's a windows thing really - sgi's made these invisible icon files too - Windows needs to get with it and play nice with the rest of the world. (yeah right)

maybe NET Server could be set to ignore files that start with a . (period) but that would be up to maxon.

not sure what you mean by the remote rendering impossible for you due to this?

dann

govinda
04 April 2008, 06:01 PM
So Dann, I've been sending stuff to you these past two days, and no problems. Is this something you're fixing on unzip?

JoelDubin
04 April 2008, 06:02 PM
it's a windows thing really - sgi's made these invisible icon files too - Windows needs to get with it and play nice with the rest of the world. (yeah right)

maybe NET Server could be set to ignore files that start with a . (period) but that would be up to maxon.

not sure what you mean by the remote rendering impossible for you due to this?

dann

You replied faster than I could edit my message. :)
Just a bit of confusion on my part--thought I caught before anyone read it.

CGTalk Moderation
04 April 2008, 06:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.