View Full Version : Challenge to the gurus: Texture Projections on deforming characters?

Dreppan
03 March 2008, 07:54 PM
I am trying to see if I can have a character rigged (bones and blendshapes) that uses a front and side projection as it's texture. So far, no luck.

I am using a layered shader that is two seperate shaders:

1) A front projection
2) A side projection with an alpha map

I have tried to use 'Parent texture to Selected' to no avail.

While the hardware shading of my character looks like the texture stays on as I deform him, the render shows it actually does not. Is there a way to get Maya to use these two textures for a deformable character?

Any help is appreciated -- thanks!

sj_bee
03 March 2008, 10:15 PM
Try creating a texture reference object for the character.

Have a look in the Maya help for details.

twedzel
03 March 2008, 11:25 PM
..or bake out your projections.

modernPrimitive
04 April 2008, 11:06 AM
I know when you do UV mapping there's a checkbox to allow mapping (projection for example) pre or post deformers. Why don't you just use that - do you have to use an actual "runtime" projection. Not sure if there is a similar checkbox for projected textures. Perhaps try rick click (on mesh) --> inputs --> all inputs. If the projection is there you'll be able to middle mouse drag it to before the skincluster deformer so it will be applied before any deformations.

Dreppan
06 June 2008, 09:37 PM
Excellent answers -- thanks for all your help!

I am using reference objects to make sure the layered texturing works with the deformations, then I convert them all to one UV map.

CGTalk Moderation
06 June 2008, 09:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.