View Full Version : Issues Going Between Mac and Linux?

Explodicide
03 March 2008, 03:39 PM
I just started a Shake compositing course, and our classroom is all Mac. I'm not a fan of Mac, so I'd rather go across the building to the PC lab and work on a Linux box, or work on my Linux laptop in the coffee shop.

Our TA warned us the first day of class, however, that there are known issues opening a Shake file made in Linux on a Mac, and visa-versa. Something about the node tree just getting corrupted. Is there any truth to this? I googled around a bit, but didn't find anything about this supposed issue.

TIA

P.S. I know that Linux Shake can't export in MOV format, I'm cool with that. I can work on a Linux box and then just render on a Mac, or reconvert later.

Kai01W
03 March 2008, 10:13 PM
Haven't worked in a mixed environment yet. It was either mac or linux. If you have identical shake versions (i.e. 4.1) I dont think it should be an issue...

-k

beaker
03 March 2008, 12:38 AM
Never had a problem going between the two. I've moved files over the years between Windows, Sgi, Linux and Sgi over the last 9 years and never had any problems. They are only ascii files so I don't see why there would ever be a problem. Maybe your instructor is mixing up Shake with Maya (which hasn't even had that problem for many years).

chippey
04 April 2008, 03:15 AM
I regularly use shake on both Mac and linux (fedora), and quite often shuffle shake scripts between the two. No problems at all, works quite well.

CGTalk Moderation
04 April 2008, 03:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.