View Full Version : Uplift Universe - Video Entry: Scott Rachwalski
03 March 2008, 08:52 AM
Scott Rachwalski is entered in the "Uplift Universe Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/uplift_universe/view_entries.php?challenger=14824)
Latest Update: Work In Progress: UV mapping
03 March 2008, 09:29 AM
Here's a quick synopsis of the concept for the video entry my team and I will be working on (work permitting).
"New Neighbors" (:60)
- Done in the news/documentary format (i.e. Frontline)
- Light hearted / dark comedy
- Set in a city / urban environment
- Creatures that have integrated into modern society
- Inspiration drawn from the 'worms' from Men in Black and 'Pepe the King Prawn' from the Muppets.
- Aliens crash land on Earth. The ship was actually a transport ship carrying semi-intelligent (think on the level of a hillbilly stereotype) creatures. It should be noted the target is not to be slapstick. The equivalent would be like an overturned truck on the highway carrying chickens and all the chickens get out and scatter after the crash.
- Due to the semi-intelligence of the creatures, humans are confronted with the dilemma of how to handle their first contact with alien life, and as such allow them to try to blend into society. They mostly turn out to be lazy, bums, annoyances on the street. Similar to pigeons (except they are capable of speech, etc.) Some could be exploited for cheap labor in menial jobs, etc etc.
- This is the aftermath of the crash at the point where the aliens have filled their niche in the culture, populated certain parts of cities, etc.
- This is not meant to be political in anyway. The goal is to be a mock-umentary of sorts on the illegal immigration topic. In other words, the psychology of people having to live with change and the daily life decisions they make based on them (human or alien).
Being from Chicago, we will be using the city in a lot of of our shots for this mostly live action / cg integrated short (while trying to not make this about landmarks in the city, but using it more for generic urban environments).
Team Members include
1. Scott Rachwalski ( http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=320494 )
2. Ray Zschau ( http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=20996)
More to follow
04 April 2008, 07:53 PM
These are super quick marker scribbles to generate ideas.
04 April 2008, 07:56 PM
This was the first concept that ultimately wasn't chosen.
04 April 2008, 07:58 PM
This is the 2nd concept that moved things in the direction we ultimately chose, however this ultimately wasn't used for a final concept either
04 April 2008, 07:59 PM
From this batch of marker sketches, a final design was chosen to move forward with.
04 April 2008, 08:03 PM
This is the base model design for the aliens in our entry. Texturing to follow
04 April 2008, 03:17 AM
Perspective view of alien model.
04 April 2008, 06:36 PM
UV Mapped character. There are some issues I might have taken more time to fix if there was more time, but this is a fairly low distortion map which will work well for texturing in Zbrush.
04 April 2008, 06:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.