View Full Version : Hundreds of Pieces of Art Destroyed

bryanbeus
03 March 2008, 09:25 PM
http://www.beauxpaint.com/forums/restinpeaceheader_small.jpg

Hello everyone,
I work with a lot of artists with whom you might be familiar (Gregory Manchess, Gary Kelley, Sterling Hundley, David Johnson, C.F. Payne, Mark Summers, Peter de Sčve, Brad Holland and others) through Richard Solomon, Artists Representative. Unfortunately, our office/studio space was totally destroyed by the crane collapse in New York, as seen on CNN. The tragedy of the lives, of the construction workers and visitor, lost in the event cannot be minimalized. In addition to this pain, all of the artists had original artwork, often times their best work, on display in that office. There were also thousands of transparencies of the artists' work.

All of that work has now been demolished, never to be seen again. Though our business is being rebuilt, brick by brick, the loss of the history contained in those walls caused great sadness on our part, and we want to share with you what remains. As a tribute, we will be posting as many of these as we can here and throughout the artistic community.

Here's the link to the YouTube Short Clip/Documentary on the Art:

YouTube: The Destroyed Artwork of the Solomon Artists (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxWIY7EljjY)

Bryan Beus
Illustrator, and associate of Mr. Solomon

http://www.beauxpaint.com/forums/manchesshorses.jpg

zzacmann
03 March 2008, 10:25 PM
I very sorry to hear that. I heard about the accident on the news but their concern at the time was the contruction workers who lost their lives and searching for survivors in the affected residential buildings. I hadn't heard about the damage to your building until now. Thank you for bringing that to light.

Both you and the man in the video used the word "vaporized" when refering to the destroyed art. Was there an explosion or fire? I don't understand how something like this could literally vaporize hundreds of pieces of art and the archives all at once. Of course, my knowledge of this comes only from the few images I've seen online and on CNN where they imply relatively minimal structural damage to 2 or 3 buildings and a demolished townhouse. But the reports would suggest that these are all residential buildings. I'm surprised they have not made more to do about the art that was lost as well.

You didn't mention any injuries endured by you or your coworkers so I'm assuming that they were not in the building at the time. On the bright side, you all are very lucky that this happened on a Sunday when there was much less of a chance that your building would be occupied.

bryanbeus
03 March 2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks zzacmann.
Yes, we were all very lucky. The number of "timing" stories on how the buildings' residents survived this event is astonishing. We felt very sorry for all those injured and killed in the accident, and thanked heaven for the luck that this was on Saturday.
Richard decided not to do interviews until we had time to recoup and get our bearings. There were a few interviews with the crew members before that, but we didn't say anything until Tuesday of this week.

Kanga
03 March 2008, 10:51 PM
Ah yes,.... another case to support backing up your work on a regular basis.

Sorry for your loss.

Chris

Rebeccak
03 March 2008, 10:53 PM
Wow, really sorry to hear about this, and really glad everyone in the company was unaffected. Crazy stuff, where do you plan on relocating?

fxmodels
03 March 2008, 10:56 PM
It is always sad to hear of such losses. One thing I dont understand though... You said the artwork was 'vaporized', or Solomon did in his video but I did not see any fire. Was there a fire from this? That makes it doubly sad. Otherwise, I would guess that the transparencies would not be total losses as they could be sifted through in the damaged building.

ndog
03 March 2008, 11:14 PM
Would damaged beyond repair make more sense? Don't lose site of what was lost due to the wrong choice of words.

bryanbeus
03 March 2008, 02:34 AM
Kanga: ha ha, well put. We did back up everything, but very little off-site. Lesson learned!
Rebeccak: Thanks. We've relocated to a hotel while we look for a more permanent space.
fxmodels and ndog: Ya, that was a confusion ("vaporize"). Problem fixed, thank you. And, because this is New York and we live in a post 911 world, we weren't allowed anywhere near the site until it was gone. G. Manchess and I are heading out to recover what we can this weekend.

Quadart
03 March 2008, 02:38 AM
Second to the lives lost, the loss of the original work by top teir illustrators represented there is a bummer , to put it mildly. I didn’t know Solomon was located there. Thanks for posting the story. As they say, timing is everything. Though bad enough,it could have been worse if it happened during normal business hours. I just saw a Gregory Manchess original at the National Geographic: The Art of Exploration exhibition at the Allentown Art Museum in Pennsylvania.

Here’s more info on the story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/19/nyregion/19building.html?ref=nyregion

biliousfrog
03 March 2008, 08:36 AM
This is the first I've heard of the accident. I'm very sorry to hear about the lost paintings, it is always a shame when a piece of history is lost, but it can't possibly compare to the grief suffered by others.

I wish you luck with rebuilding the business, be thankful for how lucky you are.