Lost Adventurer, Aleks Kirilenko (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Subtract Bevel

03-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Hi. New on the forums here.

I've been using Maya for several years and Have always been frustrated with the bevel plus tool's ability as far as generating a beveled (routed) edge on a mesh created from a cruve. It seems to add to the area around the curve rather than subtract from it, like a true routed edge would be.
example: I'm trying to model my Fender Jazz Bass, and am running into this problem.
The mesh on the left is done with the Bevel Plus tool, and the right is done by doing a poly bevel on the top face (doing essentially what I want it to), but it leaves overlapping geometry: http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k32/cbjessen/promblems_2.jpg And essentially renders it prone to problems with booleans and further deformation.

I've seen some fabulous guitars on this forum and others, and I really wish I new how to get this to look right.

I'm essentially a self taught Maya user, so there may be some 'traditional' chanels I haven't tapped to achieve what I'm after. Any help is much appreciated!

03-20-2008, 04:58 AM
u can play in bevel option width and segments... n u hve to c also in curve vertex. how many vertex in there....in vurve vertex will be smooth okey.. first do that.. its help u..

03-20-2008, 06:07 PM
okay... Well, I appreciate your help, but I'm having a hard time understanding your message.:shrug: So i think I got the jist of it.

Changing the options with the bevel: I've already tried that, and like I said I DON'T want to use the bevel options within the Bevel Plus tool because they don't do what I want. I have looked at the options within the Poly Bevel and I still run into problems.

As far as curves go: I unerstand that the amount of CVs is related to how detailed my mesh is- that's not my question, though. In tight places (where I circled that image) it will overlap. The angle there needs to be 90, not rounded out. (which is what happens when I rebuild the curve) I did find out that rebuilding the curve will evenly distribute the CVs... so I guess that's good.

I made all of my curves in Illustrator and imported them. Do I have to start over and make my curves completely within maya so my meshes work properly?

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2008, 06:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.