Lost Adventurer, Aleks Kirilenko (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Graphic Cards...again...

03-08-2008, 01:45 PM
I have an RadeonX1950Pro. When I render in messiah, on a smooth gradient, I see banding instead of an even tone. In Photoshop, the image appears perfectly smooth, of course.

I have tinkered back and forth with various settings,and yes, it is set to 16 bit. Anyone have any knowledge of any particular thing that mihgt resolve this?

03-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Oh..and I now see my tinkering has caused a flicker and incorrect color on the icons in the item list. Help me ObeiwanKenobi..................

Duhhhh...sorry guys.....downloaded the latest drivers, and fixed that...

However, banding is still an issue....

03-10-2008, 10:43 AM
... and yes, it is set to 16 bit.
Hey Rick,

if I underastand right you have set your graphics driver to 16 Bit scren resolution, right? Well, this means you're spending 16 Bit for the overall color range of RGB: 5 Bit for red, 6 Bit for green and 5 Bit for blue. In this case banding MUSt occur.

Simply set your driver to 24 or 32 bit color resolution and everything should be fine.

The Inflater

03-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks! Most likely my misunderstanding. Maybe the new drivers (or this card) are different, but I recall reading about a lot of problems with messiah when the cards were set to 24bit.

But it is working fine with the change.

CGTalk Moderation
03-10-2008, 11:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.