View Full Version : No SubD ??? Please Help

02 February 2008, 03:43 PM
I am a beginner, owning 6.5 ESS. I run XSI on my Macbook Pro 2.4 nVedia 8600GT 256 VRAM via Bootcamp.

Last month I followed Aaron's book XSI4 modeling the dinosaur. Everything worked fine. Until last month I modeling just a sphere (for the dinosaur eye), but I can not activate Subdivision for smooth model look by using (Numeric)+ key at all.

Is there anywhere I can fine the pull-down menu for activating Subdivision?

I have tried both external keyboard and the built-in on my Macbook, but none worked. I am thinking the reinstall XSI, but it would be a great help if I can solve this issue without reinstalling everything.

Thanks,

CiaranM
02 February 2008, 03:58 PM
Hi,
I use a macbook also. I was surprised to find that the macbook does not have a numeric keypad, so does not have the associated + and - keys. In XSI, I had to use keyboard mapping to remap the subdivision keys to '-' and '=', which can be found next to '0' on your keyboard.
I also found it helpful to remap all functions that use the 'delete' key to the 'backspace' key, which on your mac is labelled 'delete'.

Hope this helps.

02 February 2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the tips. I think remapping the key is great idea.
However, before this, I can use Function key (+) + to get Subd.
Now, although I used external keyboard, it still doesn't work at all. The Delete key works well.

Ohmanoggin
02 February 2008, 07:31 PM
Not sure if this is of use...

You can set sub-D level by going to Property / Geometric Approximation.
Then on Polymesh tab, you can set Sub-D level for Viewports and rendering.

Ohmanoggin

02 February 2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks

Look like it is a bug from Apple Boot Camp. A lot of people out there lost there Function keys and Del key.

curbsidebandit
02 February 2008, 07:58 PM
Well, if you want to up rez your model without using the keyboard you can go into the explorer (8 key) and open up the stack for that object - geometry approximation - polygon mesh - subdivision and adjust the ‘OGL level’ and ‘Render level’ together - but this is a hassle to do all the time. I think CiaranM is right, and you need to look at remapping the commands for your Macbbook’s keyboard. I have a Dell M1710, and I had to remap those two commands to my up/down arrow keys since I didn’t have a separate numeric pad as a desktop.

If you want to just straight subdivide your model you can alt+right click your selected model and at the bottom of the list there is the subdivide option or you can, under the model tool bar, go to create - ploy. Mesh - subdivision to do the same thing. Once there you can adjust the slider to subdivide as much as you want.

Hope that helps you

curbsidebandit
02 February 2008, 08:02 PM
Oops, Ohmanoggin beat me to it.

Saturn
02 February 2008, 08:03 PM
you have to press Fn + F6 to activate the numeric key board.

02 February 2008, 11:06 PM
Thanks guys.

Saturn, I did that so, but somehow, I don't understand either why it doesn't work. As mentioned before it used to work well with only Fn key.
I am not quite sure that I messed something up with XSI or not, because sometime I boot into Boot Camp, but sometime I got through Parallel and XSI always warn me that the clock setting is different than the clock in the key, and I might have problem with my license.
I hope I will not screw up so much that I ruined my license.

Curbsidebandit, Thanks for the explanation. It is very helpful. As beginner, I still learning and practicing XSI. It is great to know the trick. Particularly, now I have problem with my wrist and shoulder so I have to get the massage therapy once a week. Thus, at home I got Wacom Cintiq 12 inch so I can lay back on he couch and having fun with XSI (without keyboard handy). It is not the productive way but it help my shoulder. At least I have to leave with it until I die.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

renderAHH
03 March 2008, 01:21 AM
if your using the querty keys like in maya, use the page up and page down keys to step up and down subd levels

CGTalk Moderation
03 March 2008, 01:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.