View Full Version : Chain-up vector breaks when animating.

McKertis
02 February 2008, 09:55 PM
Something weird is going on, and i would really like to know the reason.

I am using a XSI 6.5 standard biped dog leg rig. I envelope my model, weight it, test the controls - everything is fine.

The moment i press "Set Key" button to start animating - the chain-up vectors on the arms break. I move the constrains - arms do not react at all. I set the rig to "Default Pose" - still broken. Reapply chain up on arms - no effect.

On the other hand, the legs chain up vectors are working fine...

Anyone know the possible solution to this ?

McKertis
02 February 2008, 07:29 AM
Any animators here ?

Jesse-Irvin
02 February 2008, 08:35 AM
when you say you hit set key are you using the synoptic button? if not, what are you keying? (translation, rotation?) and on what? (Bones, control objects?)

McKertis
02 February 2008, 09:24 AM
Okay, maybe i have omitted some details.
What i do is : keying is set to "character set", character set is the top "Biped Dog Leg" node,
and i try to do any kind of pose with most of control rig moved and rotated in some way. Bones "enveloped group" are hidden on their own layer. Then i just select all control objects (Implicit boxes) and press the Set Key icon in the main window.

Jesse-Irvin
02 February 2008, 09:16 PM
hrmmm I'm unable to recreate your problem. my up vectors continue to work without issue after keying many times with the character key set. I would double check in a fresh scene and see if you run into the same issue on the base rig. Sorry I don't think i can help tho :(

Jesse-Irvin
02 February 2008, 09:37 PM
I took another look, can you rotate your arm bones normally and save keys and have those work?

McKertis
02 February 2008, 12:53 PM
Yes, i can. IK on the arms work, FK works if i need to, everything works and gets keyed, except those specific chain-up vectors.
I tried to remove constrains from the arms and create new chain-ups - and those new ones dont affect the arms at all.

I experimented some more.
It seems to be something to do with character sets. Because if i use "Key all keyable" - chain-ups keep working.
I deleted all auto-created character sets and made my own, but the same thing happens again. It looks like there is something happening if i include arms and their chain-ups in the character set.

McNistor
03 March 2008, 01:04 PM
Hi
If you can share the scene (just the rigg) I will take a look. I have worked a lot with all kinds of riggs (default or self-made) and I might give you a solution to this.
You can post it here or you can email it to me: niscaty.at.gmail/yahoo

Gerald
03 March 2008, 08:36 PM
Yes, i can. IK on the arms work, FK works if i need to, everything works and gets keyed, except those specific chain-up vectors.
I tried to remove constrains from the arms and create new chain-ups - and those new ones dont affect the arms at all.

I experimented some more.
It seems to be something to do with character sets. Because if i use "Key all keyable" - chain-ups keep working.
I deleted all auto-created character sets and made my own, but the same thing happens again. It looks like there is something happening if i include arms and their chain-ups in the character set.

Hey there, This may be a something you have checked... but select all the bones in the chains that have problems after keying, make sure that no position keys are being saved to them.

Gerald
03 March 2008, 08:38 PM
I took another look, can you rotate your arm bones normally and save keys and have those work?

Hey Jesse, fancy meeting you here. ;)

CGTalk Moderation
03 March 2008, 08:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.