XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Raptor Model

02-12-2008, 01:33 AM
Hi i just finished a video game design course in toronto, I finished school about a month ago and decided to learn normals maps. I used zbrush for the high res and added further detail with the Nvidia plug-in for photoshop. Feel free to leave criticism and any advice on working with normals or any other aspect of the model.

02-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Very nice model. Wish it was mine.

A couple minor crits.
There is a seam between the jaw and neck.
I hate simple gradations for the backrounds even on a WIP.
He reaaly needs a spec map.
His diifuse map seems a little to saturated to me. I prefer more earth tones. I am not sure why since no one really knows how they were colored.

02-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Looks pretty sweet. Along with the seam in the neck, the one on the tail is a little noticable. I second the spec map. Currently the guy looks a little plasticy.

02-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks guys, helpful crits:)

Those renders both have specular maps on them, maybe I need to re-work it. Heres my spec map, now I've been noticing spec maps with colors I was under the impression they had to be grayscale? Anyways, here it is:

Looking at it now I think I may of overdone it with the contrast a tad, or alot.

02-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Color is fine in a spec map. A regular greyscale spec map bounces light off in the brighter areas, as you may already know. Using a color spec map will basically bounce the light off with that tint of light to the camera. I tried looking for some tutorials for ya, but I didn't find too much, maybe somebody else might have some good information.

02-13-2008, 04:31 AM
No problems with the night blue colorscheme here. You might even be able to get away with something more dynamic. Reminds me of an old JP toy:

My big crit though is, he looks like he's about to fall over. That pubic bone that juts down should be in line with the legs (most modern renderings of "raptor"-type dinos will demonstrate this, as does that toy above). Looks like maybe you can just unbend his legs though and you'll be able to get a less off-balance pose?

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2008, 04:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.