XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : difference maya/mr ocean rendering..

04-30-2003, 10:54 AM
can anyone tell me why the rendering with mental ray of the ocean looks *that* much better?

lighting and render settings are the same (as far as possible)..

maya render:

mental ray render:

usually the renderings dont differ that much..

edit: in fact nearly all of my renderings seem to differ a lot in look..

04-30-2003, 12:28 PM
looks like the mental ray rendered ocean is just a bit more reflective - thereby looking a bit more dynamic - can't you adjust the reflectivity to compensate? i haven't used the ocean shader yet, so i don't know for sure

04-30-2003, 12:43 PM
i had 1:1 settings..
when rendering some poly paint FX grass i saw the same result..
the mental render seems a lot higher in contrast.. and lighting looks different..

i wonder if it could be (for the ocean) that maya and mental handle displacment different concerning the tesselation and thus the higher detail in mental..

naja.. weŽll see

04-30-2003, 01:01 PM
hmm, at first i had the same thought - the tesselation - but that wouldn't account for the higher dynamic range in the mental ray rendered ocean - and the highlights seem to match in size and distribution - i'd still bet on the higher reflectivity (maybe differences with the fresnel falloff, i dunno)

talking about maya/mental ray differences - a few days ago i tried to use an env sky node and i got some wiered results with mental ray - like when the camera looked down on the floor i could actually see the sky and the sun - i didn't had the time to dig deeper but it definitely confused me

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.