View Full Version : Type-in rotations != MAXScript rotations

Malkalypse
01 January 2008, 06:56 PM
I am really not sure what Max uses to come up with the numbers in the Rotate Transform Type-In box. They seem to be a real pain generally, constantly flipping back and forth between positive and negative XYZ values, but I had always assumed that they matched the values gotten with $.rotation.(x/y/z)_rotation.

However, I have just discovered that this is not always the case. I am looking at an object with the following transform data shown in maxscript:

...x_rotation = 92
...y_rotation = 89
...z_rotation = 91

However, the values in the Type-In box are flipped, showing

X: -88
Y: 91
Z: -89

So I have two related questions:

1) How does MAX arrive at the values shown in the Rotate Transform Type-In box?
2) How do I get MAXScript to show me the same values?

PEN
01 January 2008, 07:41 PM
The values that you are seeing are parent space quats converted to eulers I believe. Try using http://www.paulneale.com/scripts/activeTransformEditor/activeTransformEditor.htm this tool instead and it will return the values that are found in the active controllers track.

Let me know if it is doing what you expect.

Malkalypse
02 February 2008, 01:12 AM
I've looked at that one before, and I've learned a lot from it. However, setting the values in the active list panel to [92, 89, 91] still shows up in the Rotate Transform Type-in panel as [-88,91,-89].

Also, I'm not sure about the quats-converted-to-eulers theory. Wouldn't (quatToEuler $.rotation) give that result? If it does, then that is not it.

CGTalk Moderation
02 February 2008, 01:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.