Lost Adventurer, Aleks Kirilenko (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : maxwell glas rendering

01-15-2008, 12:23 PM
hi there, i got some problems rendering glas in maxwell. i'm using cinemawell 1.6 and every time i render a still with any type of glas it looks like there is some noise inside...

what am i doing wrong?

01-15-2008, 03:42 PM
You're probably not doing anything wrong -- glass just takes a long time to clear up in Maxwell (or any path tracer).

01-15-2008, 04:33 PM
jep, thats what i've come to, by now. I rendered on my laptop, an 1,5 centrino, what a mess, actually the 3rd pass did take over 10 minutes to render. I figured out that the longer i render the better gets the glass... but i'm a bit dissappointed about how maxwell renders... especially on slower cpu's...

thanks anyways.

01-15-2008, 04:52 PM
glass on a 1.5 centrino, we are talking days not minutes to get noisefree

01-15-2008, 08:23 PM
if you need a fast glass material with no refraction, try to use a ags material.

01-16-2008, 08:12 AM
thanks guys, i'll give it a try.

Does anyone know about maxwell problems considering vista 64? I installed maxwell on my PC at home and every time i try to render a pic via c4d plugin, Cinema 4d crashs...

I've read that maxwell loses dual core compatibility while used on vista 64, has anyone experience with that?

If it turns out true, i would reinstall vista 32 anyway, but it would be fine if someone knows a workaround.

01-16-2008, 01:51 PM
I know of no such limitations but I have not tried it (or anything else) on Vista yet.Maxwell is actually about 10% faster on 64bit systems and supports as many cpus as your license permits.

And on a 1.5 GHz Centrino you will have to wait alot for glass to clear. Depending on the scene i get clear glass from SL 6 - 14 here so you get an idea.

As a good entry level workstation you should aim for an 8 core Xeon model or something in this range - this makes working with maxwell a breeze.

01-16-2008, 02:10 PM
hmm, would be a pain if i have to stay in jail while my pc is waiting at home with a brand new 8core setup cause i had to rob a bank for the money... :-)

nevermind, later ill try a clean c4d and maxwell install, along with new cpu drivers... wish me luck :-)

This morning i figured out that maxwell can stop and resume a render, i think my laptop hates me cause it has to render since last night :-).

01-16-2008, 02:53 PM
do you have any extra machines you can install maxwell on, if you have some at work that can be setup to render during night. I haven't tried this with maxwell but I do this with mental ray and the speed increase is phenomenal. just amazing to look at those buckets chase around the screen, brings tears to a geek like myself. :)

01-16-2008, 06:33 PM
damn, you're right :-) i havn't used my vpn opportunity yet. so i can setup a render client for network rendering at work :-) thanks buddy.

You guys are absolutly stunning, I've been in several different forums lately and the amount on helpful responses here is simply amazing, thanks to all of you.

01-16-2008, 09:30 PM
let me know if you get to work over vpn, haven't tried that option before. I do however use log me in free to remote control my work pc so I can work from home and access a range of computers at work.

at home I have 7 machines that I have set up for testing purposes. had some trouble with the router but once I opened up the ports and turned off the firewalls on the computers it worked just fine. also I had to make sure the maps/images was on a a shared drive that all computers could find.

one thing is for certain, once you get network rendering to work, you will never go back.

good luck

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2008, 09:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.