View Full Version : Reverse engineer joint binding?

PixelDroid
12 December 2007, 04:23 PM
Is there a way to determine which joints a mesh is bound to and the type of binding?
Thanx.

twedzel
12 December 2007, 05:46 PM
select the mesh and use this little mel.

string $joints[] = `skinCluster -q -inf`;
print $joints;

basically it means run the skinCluster mel command in query mode (-q) and then to query skin influences (-inf).

As to wether it is rigid or smooth bound, that should be fairly self evident. I havn't used rigid bind in so long that I wouldn't really know what to look for anymore. But if you go into the mel command help files you may find something about it under the skinCluster command.

PixelDroid
12 December 2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks a lot.
Works on smooth bound meshes but not on rigid bound meshes. The nodes on rigid bound meshes are labelled "jointCluster". However, the jointCluster mel command doesn't support the -inf flag.
string $joints[] = `jointCluster -q -inf`;
print $joints;
// Error: Invalid flag: -inf //

twedzel
12 December 2007, 09:42 PM
To be honest with you I can't help you much with rigid bind stuff. I havn't used them since my first term in school, and that was roughly 8 years ago. jointClusters are obviously assocociated to indiviual joints as well as the shape node they influence so a connection path exists, but I don't have the time or patience to figure it out. I would say, grab the mesh in question and go into the hypergraph and click on the input connections and see whats connected to where.

CGTalk Moderation
12 December 2007, 09:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.