Carrara 6 Pro and Abobe Photoshop Elements 2. Also ArcSoft Photostudio which is good at reducing file sizes. I had no concept in mind when I started this, its how I normally work. The title came while I was watching it render. :)
I started by creating the shader first and then replicated a primitive sphere and scattered it. I had alot of problems rendering this, the first one was estimated at taking 5 days to do! After some changes in the settings, the second render quit over half way through due to memory allocation problems. So I ended up with basic lighting - 1 light and a bit of ambience. I rendered it at 2760x1725. It turned out a bit dull so I layered a slightly reduced size against a white background in Photoshop and added another duplicate layer which I had added a mosaic tile filter and screen blended.