View Full Version : Are you curious on which Mac, Painter X runs the fastest?...

Tim3308
11 November 2007, 10:21 PM
... wonder no more, and he hits Painter's developers square in the nose w/ this statement:

"Yes, after ten major revisions, Painter still doesn't know how to use multiple cores. So much for the "unparalleled performance" of "the world's most powerful Natural-Media painting and illustration software."

When is Painter gonna go multiple core? It's a bit overdue, eh?(Canadian translation)

Anyway, I thought fellow mac users here would find this helpful/interesting as it revealed to me why Painter X w/ an image (especially when containing several layers) can at times really, really suck on my RAM loaded G5 (he also compares it to Photoshop speeds for point of reference): "SHOOTOUT: Painter X on Three Macs"...

http://www.barefeats.com/painter.html

yashrg
12 December 2007, 09:18 PM
Doesn't make much sense... how come opening the document was the fastest on 2.8 ghz Imac and not the mac pro and power mac? something's fishy.

Steve Green
12 December 2007, 12:21 PM
I was just thinking about this today - now that quad cores are so cheap I would love to see Corel put some effort into making more of it multithreaded.

Maybe it's one of those apps that is tough to make good use of multithreading?

- Steve

theCloudmover
01 January 2008, 08:01 AM
I find this information quite sad.

Multi-core machines are very common these days and there is no reason that Corel Painter shouldn't take advantage of the current technology.

I hope that the techies at Corel fix this deficiency quickly. It affects windows users and Mac users alike.

Tim3308
01 January 2008, 02:47 PM
Ain't it, though, Cloudmover....uhh considering Apple's new towers (hit this past week) now ALL feature 8 cores (and I have one on order). Your are right, this is Macs and PCs.

I know I suffer when using large layered files in Painter (virtually everything in the app slooowwwss wayyy doowwwn) -- my goal, while working is too get rid of the layers as fast as I can. It shouldn't be that way for "the world's most powerful Natural-Media painting and illustration software" & "unparalleled performance."

I hope the suggestion box for multi core support (heck, we'll take just two core support, at this point) at Corel is being stuffed w/ this request for Painter XI, or better yet Corel has it as priority #1 for the new version. They got this baby running pretty darn stable now, now it's time to "run w/ the big dogs" who have gotten a long way now "from the porch" that Painter is still "lying on".

I suspect it will still be a good while before Painter XI, dare we hope for a patch for multi core?

Giotto-san
02 February 2008, 11:51 PM
I'm using a 200 gig LaCie external firewire drive for my memory and scratch disk. This seems to have solved the problem. I had to set the location of the LaCie in Painter preferences.

tedpainter
02 February 2008, 04:53 PM
I know I suffer when using large layered files in Painter (virtually everything in the app slooowwwss wayyy doowwwn) -- my goal, while working is too get rid of the layers as fast as I can. It shouldn't be that way for "the world's most powerful Natural-Media painting and illustration software" & "unparalleled performance."

I suspect it will still be a good while before Painter XI, dare we hope for a patch for multi core?

It may be a good while before the folks at Corel bother to listen to their customer artists I suspect! I've been complaining to them for years to stop introducing more "stuff" and just work to make the program run better. So far though it's just been more "stuff". They run a big marketing campaign to convince us that this is the best yet, rather than actually "make" it the best yet.
Good thing they allow a trial version to be run. We might buy this crap unsuspecting otherwise!

CGTalk Moderation
02 February 2008, 04:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.