XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : VFS Modeling Reel by Andrew Astapov

10-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Andrew Astapov and I recently graduated from Vancouver Film School.
This is my 2007 reel.

Hope you enjoy.

Any comments and critiques are welcome.

if you right click save as it should download faster.

10-29-2007, 08:21 PM

Pretty cool stuff, although it took a long time to download.

Think the first model would be more convincing if there was SSS on the eye. Feels like a solid eye, rather then somthing soft/squishy.

I see you've removed the texturing on the 2nd model, although it still looks good I think it could use sharper detailing/another detail pass.

Are you planning to texture the Draconian?

10-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Very nice Andrew.

I really love the first model :thumbsup: Scary

10-30-2007, 01:08 AM
What's up with the black line down the dragon's head (right?) Does that meant to be there?

Good stuff!

10-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Thank you guys for your coments.

Trevor- sorry for the download time I'l put up a smaller version tonigh and youtube ofcourse.

I decided to render the second model as a sculpt rather than a game model and my textures wouldnt have caried over to the high rez as it had completely different UVs.

And yes I do plan to texture the Draco someday. But thats a long ways off.

Bobo- thank you very much sir you found me prety quickly

ftaswin- the black line is a comping error. I noticed it only after I took the still out of my footage and by then it was to late to rerender.

Thanks again guys.

10-31-2007, 05:57 AM
yo, hows it going man,

Great to see it up here, awesome stuff, i really like the feel of these models.

i do think it may need some detailing in general. Like the armor on the dragon, u should put in the armor design u were gonna do. and just a little more of definitian on the face of the 2nd model.

hows the russian dude going

10-31-2007, 06:23 PM
Andrew! Grats on the reel completion, nice to see it (again).

I can't really make additional feedback that differs from what others have already posted, so I'll just say well done and it was a pleasure working with you the last year :)

10-31-2007, 06:44 PM
awsome reel man, all of it is very impressive.

god i hope i get into vfs...my advisor is making me nervous lol.

very great reel, awsome stuff.

11-01-2007, 05:27 AM
Andrew !! It's an awesome modelling reel!! I really like the first one, and the last one... they look so real...I like the last one the most, with the skin, and you have pay such a great attention on the details...of the eyes, the back, the mass, everything ~

Good luck !

11-01-2007, 02:02 PM
hey andrew, congratz on your reel. I really like the detail for the dragon warrior. Good luck in your job hunting! :)

11-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks for all the coments guys.

Don-Thanks man. Looking at it now I agree I should have added some more detail on the armor to ballance it out with the body.
Aishath-thank you, and the pleasure was all mine. And congrats on finishing as well. Cant wait to see your reel up here.
sFiorentino112-Good luck, It will be quite an experience once you get in.
Samson-thanks for the compliments and thanks for the help this year.
Hao-Thanks the dragon was really fun to detail.

11-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Hey Andrew,..Nice to see the finished reel!! It looks Great!! Been a real pleasure collaborating with you and wish you well in all your endeavours. Thanks for everything:)

11-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Awesome reel! Love the texturing job on the oracle -- it's really gross! :)

Now I wait to see your bust of Aleksei Serebryakov. Almost done?

Good luck to you, Andrew!

11-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Yo Andrew!... Great reel! My favorite is the second one. The pose is soooo nice! Good luck with the jobhunt!

11-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Ari - Good sir, the pleasure has been entirely mine. And likewise I wish the best for you.

Kristen - Thank you, its what I was going for. The bust will have to wait till better days but I promise It will be done.

Seba - thanks man, I think youre the first to like the hellboy moosedog the most :)

11-27-2007, 03:51 AM

congrats on finishing the reel. you've come a long way, baby. maybe we'll get a chance to work together someday.

p.s. the drconian's my fave, but you already knew that.

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2007, 03:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.