View Full Version : Gnome done in photoshop

04 April 2003, 01:41 AM
Very nervous, but here is my first attempt at painting in photoshop. C&C of all types is very welcome!

04 April 2003, 02:28 AM
not bad at all!
has a soft pastel feel to it.
even children's book-esque.

more clouds, air detail in the background would
have added tons of depth...

04 April 2003, 02:56 AM
Air detail meaning just more clouds? More color gradiation? Not sure what you mean here. And I agree, its funny once I threw the picture up in the forums, I immediately saw some stuff to change, and one was the sky is too boring!

04 April 2003, 03:01 AM
once I threw the picture up in the forums, I immediately saw some stuff to change,

totally understand!
that happens to me every time!

air detail ---> paint in some different hues
of your sky color, very subtle, but just enough
to make it look as though they wern't dropped in front
of a blue background. and clouds could help too.

04 April 2003, 08:39 AM
I like it, because the drawing is very flat.

This drawing belongs in a fairytale book!:applause:

04 April 2003, 09:31 AM
its a nice one .... but i'll prefer much more details. take care about the shadows. the image looks a bit to flat.

keep going and post more for us!

04 April 2003, 09:35 AM
let's say that the flatness is a bit of a taste for people.

But again definetely nothing wrong with the flat effect.

04 April 2003, 09:40 AM
you'r right linda! :beer:

04 April 2003, 07:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the critiques, I can already see some improvements.

Linda -- I agree, I like the flat look, but at the same time, I wasn't going for a very flat look, so I tried to make it look as if it had a little more depth.

N. Lint -- thanks for the advice on the sky, I think what I added conveys the mood a little more then what I had, hope it doesn't come across as cheesey though, hehehe.

More C&C would be welcome, I think the body still needs some work (the ogre), but I'm not sure what to do. It just doesn't look finished to me. What do you guys think?

04 April 2003, 07:59 PM
lol I was looking at my old versus new version, and I appreciate the flatness even more now. :surprised

But I also like the depth of the new sky :)

04 April 2003, 09:58 PM
heheh, I didn't realize how this would be updated/changed so much or I would have put it in the WIP forum, sorry mods!

Anyways here's the latest changes I made to the picture. One thing I'm not too sure about is the color changes I made to the shading on the gnome (guy in yellow). Would appreciate any feedback folks would like to give, positive or negative.

04 April 2003, 10:00 PM
Thats cool. Nice image for a first try. I really like this poick, and as some-one said very booky oriented.

04 April 2003, 12:44 AM
thi sky is mych more dynamic now!
good job!

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.