View Full Version : setAttr -unkeyable true...what does that do?objecyt remains keyable

shenmue
10 October 2007, 08:01 PM
heluu

I am confused.In max,if an object is unkeyable,yo cannot create keys,so le curve editor is really clean.But in maya,even if it is unkeyable,you can create keys.Objects will not get animated but keyable..And if I hide attributes on channel box,it is the same.You canīt animate them neither....my head hurts

Buexe
10 October 2007, 08:59 PM
If you want to prevent Maya from putting keys on an attribute, you can lock it:

setAttr -locked 1 myNode.myAttribute;

The keyable state wil basically just hide it from the channel box and prevent maya from keying it when you use the "s" command to set keys ono all keyable attributes.
Hope this helps
b

shenmue
10 October 2007, 12:33 AM
the thing is that I have already used the lock and unlock in my tool.But I wanted to add for features like keyable and unkeyable attr,and hide attr.But I donīt understand what is the point of the unkeyable attr or the hide,cause both still create a key when I hit "s".

Buexe
10 October 2007, 08:22 AM
Sorry, maybe I don`t really understand what you are after. When I lock an attribute, it does not get a key on the locked attribute when I hit "s" :shrug:

shenmue
10 October 2007, 01:41 PM
again I guess I am confused because how I use to work in max.In max,al transformation could be locked or unlocked AND set as keyable or unkeyable.So a locked object could be keyable.I used that to do specific connection between objects.But in maya the conecpt of keyable works diferente I guess.
Anyway the thing that keeps killing me is understanding why hidden attributes disable animation too.There are just hidden not unlock.:hmm: I need to adapt my mind to that.

shenmue
10 October 2007, 03:28 PM
AAHH!!!I forgot to unkey the visibility command!!!thatīs why it kept keying....:D

CGTalk Moderation
10 October 2007, 03:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.