View Full Version : help needed:rendering maya files as .psd layers

Rainroom
09 September 2007, 06:22 AM
i have a problem:
using mel script i want to render a sequence of images (single frame) from different light sources and save them as layers in a single .psd file. for example: i want to render a scene from light1,light2 and so on (one light at a time) and save all the renders as layers named layer_light1,layer_light2 etc with a particular blend mode (like "screen") in a single photoshop file.

i wrote the script to render the lights in seq and save the rendered images as .tifs(or whatever file format i want to). but i can't save all the files as layers in photoshop.

there is a command in maya something like "createPsdFile" or something...but in this command i have to write all the paths of the files and blend settings at one go.if i have 16-20 lights then its a huge task to write all the paths of the files at one go.

-is there a more efficient way to do this?

GiantG
09 September 2007, 09:02 AM
Dont' think you can do this with mel.
But what about making a Photoshop Action to layer all files?

particlefx
09 September 2007, 01:21 PM
Hi rain room ..
u can try this command
"psdExport"

Rainroom
09 September 2007, 04:37 AM
the "psdExport" thingy doesn't do the same thing i guess....it doesn't render in layers as far i know. btw yesterday i succeeded doing this thing using a "createPsd" kinda command.its working but the problem is that the layers created in photoshop are heavily compressed when converting the image files into psd layers via mel.as a result the resulting psd file is losing a lot of quality. there isn't any option in the command where i can set the quality of the compression.

btw can anybody tell me more about the photoshop action thingy?

CGTalk Moderation
09 September 2007, 04:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.