All Lighting And Rendering Settings are the same:
(No GI/FG, Just Caustics)
(One Spot, 100k Photon Intensity, 500k photons)
A) Blinn w\ a 3d procedural bump
B) MIA w\ a 3d procedural bump ( connected With A misss_set_normal)
C) Blinn w\ a 2d Bump (procedural baked at 2048)
D) MIA w\ a 2d Bump (procedural baked at 2048, connected With A misss_set_normal)
E) MIA w\ a 2d bump (connected via this method:
1. Create the following nodes: mib_passthrough_bump_map, mib_texture_remap, and mib_bump_basis. You also need to create a texture vector, and it is recommended that you do so by creating the mib_texture_vector node.
2. Connect mib_passthrough_bump_map.message to mia_material.bump.
3. Connect mib_texture_vector.outValue to mib_texture_remap.input.
4. Connect mib_texture_remap.outValue to mib_passthrough_bump_map.coord.
5. Connect mib_bump_basis.u to mib_passthrough_bump_map.u and mib_bump_basis.v to mib_passthrough_bump_map.v.
Obviously, the results are drastically different and I have no idea why. C and D are close but I don't understand why D (the MIA) is exploding caustic photons all over the place, while C ( the blinn) works fine. I also don't understand why the caustic pattern would be so drastically different with both shaders after baking the 3d procedural when the surface of the sphere doesn't look much different. A looks the most natural to me, and i'm guessing B just isn't working because the MIA material doesn't understand procedurals. Can someone give me some insight as to what's going on here, or at least how to get rid of the MIA's exploding photons?