View Full Version : Sparking Shader concept

lemasterjg
09 September 2007, 03:35 AM
Hey all, Iíll start off by saying Iím pretty new to Maya, however Iíve been using 3D studio Max for about 8 years.

I want to create a shader with unique properties, if you have ever seen the coals on a hookah burn youíll see that they spark initially then glow a bright orange then turn into a dull grey. Here is small demo of how they look for those that donít know http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_4ekrUfC74

So I want that sparking and glowing to happen on the mesh only when and where the mesh is distorted. Think of a hand curling into a fist the sparking would start at the joints a spread outward then stop, the area where it sparked would glow hot and then dull to a dull grey.

I hope this makes since, its an effect for a stone gargoyle and I want it to spark at all the moving joints as they move around. Does anyone know if this is possible or capable of happening either through MEL, Python, or a connection of shaders.

CGTalk Moderation
09 September 2007, 03:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.