View Full Version : MR in Maya twice as slow than in MAX

olcho
09 September 2007, 07:51 PM
I worked on some project, where I had to do some render setup in Maya, using Mental Ray. My 3D supervisor gave me some references made in MAX and I duplicated them in Maya, but the render times were much higher.

So I made a very simple test:
In 3D Studio MAX I made a plane and a Box on it, threw a standart shader with a texture, an omni light, switched to Mental Ray and rendered a HD 1080 frame using the default MR settings. It took about 30 sec.

Then I exported the scene using FBX to Maya, used the same render setting for MR like they were in MAX and the frame took 50-something sec to render.

The renders looked quite the same, but the difference in the render times is quite scary!
Can anyone shed some light on this?

floze
09 September 2007, 11:11 AM
What sampling rates have you been using on your test? The 3dsmax samples options look quite different from maya's, so maybe you mixed something up?

MasterZap
09 September 2007, 02:25 PM
Also, Maya defaults to "segment" shadow mode which can be more expensive to calculate.

/Z

olcho
09 September 2007, 02:51 PM
I didn't use any shadows.

I used Max's default render settings:
Samples: 1/4, 4 (in Maya that is -1, 1)
Filter Type: Box - 1.0, 1.0
Contrast: 0.05 for RGBA (Maya's default is 0.1, so I changet it to 0.05)
Bucket Width - 48 (in Maya that's shoud be the Task Size, which usually is controlled by Maya, so I changet it to 48 as well)
BSP Size: 10
BSP Depth:40
Memory Limit - same to both

I think that's pretty much it.

The Contrast and Texture filtering plays a great role in the render. When I rendered in Maya with Contrast - 0.1, it rendered the image in 20-something sec.
If I remove the texture Filtering - it renders even faster, but it looks really crappy

There are other ways to make Maya render faster, but what's interesting that using the same parameters in both programs, Maka takes a lot longer. And after all, Mental Ray in the same (at least it should be) for both of them.

May be I'm doing something wrong, and if I am, I'd love to know what.

alexentremont
09 September 2007, 06:55 PM
Are you doing your tests on a multi-core machine? Then make sure that Mental Ray for Maya is using all available cores.

olcho
09 September 2007, 08:48 PM
Unless I've missed something, as far as I know, all the settings are the same.
It will be nice if someone made a simple test for themselves and share the results.

CGTalk Moderation
09 September 2007, 08:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.