View Full Version : File Out Time Range

perpen
08 August 2007, 08:35 PM
I have several File Out nodes to render in my project but I want diferent render time ranges for each of them. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance.

pgraham
09 September 2007, 08:36 PM
Not inside of Shake. You can make a shell script that renders the fileouts one by one and specifies a frame range for each render.

perpen
09 September 2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks, I'll try to write this script.

NickJushchyshyn
09 September 2007, 03:38 AM
I know I'm posting a few days late, but maybe this will help if you haven't worked out your script yet...

The zip file linked below contains a simple example shake file and bash render script to show how it works.
You can download from here:
http://www.nickfx.com/cow/cow_shk_foranged.zip

There's a shake script with two color nodes, a text overlay to add the frame counter and a pair of fileouts.
There's also a bash script that renders each of the fileouts using a different frame range.

Extract the files to some trash directory.
Open terminal and navigate to the directory containing the files and enter this command:
sh foscript.sh

This should execute the bash script which will write out two, 5-frame quicktimes. Test1.mov will be Red, frames 6-10, and Test2.Mov will be Blue, frames 1-5.

The trick is in the foscript. It contains two lines:
shake -exec fotest.shk -node BlueFO -v -t 1-5
shake -exec fotest.shk -node RedFO -v -t 6-10

"shake -exec fotest.shk" simply tells shake to execute a specific script
"-node BlueFO" and "-node RedFO" asks shake to render a specific fileout node, by name.
"-v" is just asking shake to run in verbose mode so you can see information about the render.
"-t 1-5" and "-t 6-10" specifies which frames to render.

Hope this helps.
Have fun.

beaker
09 September 2007, 07:50 AM
You can do it in a single command by using the -render flag. So using Nick's example, you would do a:

shake -exec fotest.shk -render BlueFO 1-5 -render RedFO 6-10 -vv

You can set a -t if you want, but it's not necessary. It will look as if it is rendering every frame but really its just rendering the frames you told it to.

CGTalk Moderation
09 September 2007, 07:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.