View Full Version : Vibrating Particles, another question

rotanadan
08 August 2007, 01:30 PM
Ok, a couple weeks back I asked in the main forum how I could make a "vibrating" particle. the answer worked well, I Shape Instance'd a sphere with Xform modifier, the gizmo of Xform then had noise position, worked great. Untill My Pflow started getting a little complex, Find Target, Lock/Bonds etc, and my system started getting REALLY slow on the updates. I started messing with my pflow to speed it up and found it was the instanced spheres, when i switched the Shape Instance to Shape Plus spheres, everything sped WAY up (8 minute render time to 6 seconds). So my question is, is there a better way to do vibration, that does not use Shape Instancing.

Thanks

OlegB
08 August 2007, 01:43 PM
Scripting or Data Operators from Box#3.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

rotanadan
08 August 2007, 01:55 PM
Just got Box 1 for Lock/Bond, dont have the extra funds to get Box 3 yet, anywhere you could point me to read up on getting a particle to vibrate using script?

BrandonD
08 August 2007, 09:17 PM
Pardon me for thinking in Houdini expression language here, but with a Script Operator you should be able to do a sin function on one of the position axes. Something like this:

pos.x = sin((current_frame * 5) * 10)

The first multiple will control the frequency of the waveform and the second one the amplitude. This should be an easy way to get vibrating particles.

rotanadan
08 August 2007, 02:10 AM
Bobo in the script forum gave me an excellent solution, the issue now is network rendering scripted particles, I jsut bought Cache from orbaz but am trying to get a download, cant wait for shipping.

CGTalk Moderation
08 August 2007, 02:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.