View Full Version : problem opening scenes

BanzaiGonzo
08 August 2007, 12:34 AM
I tried to sign up at XSI forums to get this question answered, but it is taking forever to get a password, so I figured since I have been coming to these forums for 5 years I would try here.

Just installed XSI foundation 6.02.

I start a new scene, create a torus, tweak it a little to get used to the controls and save it as a scene called torus. (with only two operations in the “stack”).

When I go to open the scene, it says “c:\......torus.scn can not be

Then it ends. I assume it finishes the line with “opened” but am not sure.

This happens with any scene in the XSI default directory.

If I move torus.scn to another directory it just says cant open file, but I can merge it from anywhere to the current opened (blank) scene.

When I save this (merged) scene and try to open it I get the same problem.

The supplied scenes, like dog.scn, try to open, but stops after 55% and I get the above mentioned error.

The brown bar at the bottom of the window stops at 55% - 65% before I get the error message.

My machine is brand new with XP SP2 installed. I searched the XSI site (while waiting for my password) but could find no answer to this issue.

Other issues related to Logitech software / hardware were discussed, so I disabled mine (but did not un-install) and still have the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated, since I read the thread with glowing testimonials here about the program, needing them because I didn’t have much time to use the trial version before it expired.

I just thought I would mention that the scenes do NOT crash when I save them, mentioning this since most scene problems I see here have to do with crashing on saving.

Thank you

dwigfor
08 August 2007, 02:30 AM
Sounds weird. Did you install into the default directory? Maybe try running runonce.bat in command prompt. That fixes a lot of dll problems, but I dunno if it will help you. Doesn't hurt to try.

BanzaiGonzo
08 August 2007, 12:42 PM
Thank you so much.
Installed in the default directory, but the runonce.bat thing did it. /bow
Who knew that in 2007 there would still be DOS commands to run :)

stblair
08 August 2007, 01:20 PM
If you go to softimage.com and type "cannot open scene" or "open scene" in the search box, the first hit is a page that suggests running runonce.bat:

http://softimage.wiki.avid.com/index.php/Cannot_open_scene_after_a_save

The search box uses Google to search the XSI list, the wiki, the XSI user docs, the XSI sdk docs, as well as softimage.com.

CGTalk Moderation
08 August 2007, 01:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.