View Full Version : how do i convert .BMP to .XPM on linux

montujj
08 August 2007, 06:35 PM
I am using linux Fedora Core 4.
i would like to know if there is any way i can convert .bmp extension file to .xpm
linux doesn't seems to take bmp files as icons. is there anyway to do this within maya or photoshop??
i tried "imgcvt" on command shell and it seems like it does not support .xpm
please help..

Thank you.

Buexe
08 August 2007, 07:00 PM
There is a small app on highend3d to do it, but it is for Windows I believe. since you seem to have access to Photoshop you maybe have Windows?

GennadiyKorol
08 August 2007, 07:20 PM
On linux you have GIMP, it can save files in xpm format easily :)

Buexe
08 August 2007, 08:18 PM
Hey, that`s not fair !

:)

montujj
08 August 2007, 08:30 PM
On linux you have GIMP, it can save files in xpm format easily :)

thank a lot for your help. I just tried GIMP and it works.

GennadiyKorol
08 August 2007, 08:42 PM
montujj: Glad to help :)

Buexe: That's how it goes.. you gotta love Linux :scream:

kjaft
08 August 2007, 01:04 PM
XnView is also able to save xpm. Available for both Windows & Linux - all happy :D

Buexe
08 August 2007, 04:53 PM
Cool thing, thanks for the hint! Did anybody manage to give xpm files a "transparency" so that when you use them as outliner icons they get the selection color in the bg when selected? Right now with the default color white as BG color of the outliner when I select a custom node with a custom outliner icon there is a square surrounding my icon. Hope I made clear what I`m after. :shrug:

Buexe
08 August 2007, 04:33 PM
I just noticed that the render view "save image" command can save to xpm as well :D

GennadiyKorol
08 August 2007, 06:25 PM
That's a nice tip :) But I actually got to try it and I have to say GIMP does a much better job in preserving the colors of the image. While saving xpm with Maya's render view the colors are shifted for some reason, so I personally suggest GIMP to do the to xpm conversions.

Cheers :)

montujj
09 September 2007, 10:59 PM
Hey
Thanks all for your suggestions. I used GIMP for my purpose right now.
i also tried using rendered view saved images as one of the suggestion, it doest not give me option to save .xpm?? is it default or do i need to load plugin or is there any option in render settings.

Buexe
09 September 2007, 08:14 AM
On Windows it`s right there in the render view > save image settings, don`t know about Mac and Linux though.

CGTalk Moderation
09 September 2007, 08:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.