View Full Version : Question on maya connection

Piddu
08 August 2007, 10:51 PM
Hi there. I'm programming a maya node and the output of this node goes into the translate plug of a transform node.
I would like to to move the object relative to the transform node even after the connections is done. I've seen that this is possible for constraints, in fact I can move the object even after the constraint is created.
I've seen that the channel box for constraints become of blue color instead of yellow, like when I'm doing a simple connection as mine.

Any idea about I can I do that?

Thanks a lot.
Daniele

hibigibees
08 August 2007, 09:37 PM
I am not sure if I m misguiding you on this but try this, generally what happens is - to change t'xyz we use the translate tool manipulator and we see the change in nodes position as the node's attribute(s) gets dirty cause of the movement of mouse read by the manipulator.

But if we need this facility along with a connection then we need to find out if we can connect the out to any other attribute other than tx, ty, tz which might translate the same node without having to have a connection. Can u try connecting the output of your node to rotatePivotTranslate of the target node.

Try this: Create 2 locators A and B. Move B to 3, 0, 0 in translate and now connect A.t to B.rotatePivotTranslate - now if you move A, B moves with that offset while B can be moved independently. But I have not tested this, it might have issues somewhere ;)

reg, sriram

Piddu
08 August 2007, 12:04 AM
Hi Sriram. Thanks for the reply. Actually I want to move the object not to change it's pivot. As I can see it is not only constraints that are working in the way that I want for my node, but even animation curve have the same behaviour and they are not changing the pivot at all.

So this is my point. I don't really understand why a curve is refreshing only once the time change and even the constraint, while my node that is programmed the same as the the examples provided in the sdk folder is not.

That's only my point.
Thanks a lot anyway, I will try to make some more test this sunday. I will let you know if I will find something.

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
08 August 2007, 12:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.