View Full Version : Newtek Lightwave 3D updated to 9.3

dickma
08 August 2007, 03:41 PM
Press Release.

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-07-07a.html

Larry_g1s
08 August 2007, 09:51 PM
Very cool. NewTek is a great company & I appreciate the free upgrades. I didn't see when or where it can be downloaded.

fez
08 August 2007, 09:54 PM
Rendering and texturing in 9.3 is phenomenal. Newtek is a same-scene RenderPass manager (built in Surpasses) aways from greatness.

Buzzoff
08 August 2007, 10:44 PM
Newtek is a same-scene RenderPass manager (built in Surpasses) aways from greatness.

Interesting arrangement of words, is it supposed to mean anything?

Julez4001
08 August 2007, 10:51 PM
yeah, after the Newtek spill, there is nothing about Surpass in the upgrade.
Got me all happy...shucks! Yes i said Shucks!

fez
08 August 2007, 11:03 PM
Interesting arrangement of words, is it supposed to mean anything?

Maybe it means you are not a dedicated Lightwaver...

But just to humor you, it means that at this point Lightwave has neither a native nor a third party solution for creating lots of render passes within the same scene. The plugin Surpasses offered such functionality but is unfortunately no longer being developed.

Pixaloop
08 August 2007, 12:04 AM
Compared to other years, their booth attendance at SIGGRAPH appeared a little thin. Was that only my persepective?

stevecullum
08 August 2007, 01:59 AM
Compared to other years, their booth attendance at SIGGRAPH appeared a little thin. Was that only my persepective?

It wouldnt suprise me. I think Lightwave's popularity is on the wain as there are many areas that need updating - although the rendering enhancements are impressive and up there with other established rendering options.

Buzzoff
08 August 2007, 02:19 AM
Maybe it means you are not a dedicated Lightwaver...

Newtek is a same-scene RenderPass manager (built in Surpasses) aways from greatness.

Newtek is a company, not "a same-scene RenderPass manager". The "aways from greatness." is straight up Engrish.

ps. I'm joking. The "(built in Surpasses)" really killed the flow of the sentence.

fez
08 August 2007, 02:28 AM
You are at least a hundred IQ points away from being a genius.

erilaz
08 August 2007, 02:38 AM
Fez, Buzzoff, quit it.

fez
08 August 2007, 02:48 AM
Ha! Buzzoff, I hope you know I was also joking. My initial post was supposed to be short and succinct. Instead it turned out short and mystifying.

My apologies. Peace.

Szos
08 August 2007, 03:17 AM
Seems like if this was an AutoDesk product, it would be consided a full point release... with all the upgrade costs to go with it.

Good on NewTek for improving their product and not charging anything for it. :thumbs up:

fez
08 August 2007, 03:49 AM
Seems like if this was an AutoDesk product, it would be consided a full point release... with all the upgrade costs to go with it.

Absolutely.

Having said that, after seeing those unofficial Max 2008 demo videos, I am grudgingly upgrading my subscription.

9.3 is SO CLOSE. If Newtek can give us robust render pass management and blazingly fast subds by 9.5 I think Lightwave will be back in the game. Save the character enhancements for the next paid upgrade.

Qslugs
08 August 2007, 06:08 AM
Save the character enhancements for the next paid upgrade.

Ummm. how about no?

fez
08 August 2007, 07:24 AM
Character animation in Lightwave is presently SO weak relative to the competition that I fear the development required is way beyond the scope of a point release.

Robust render pass management is absolutely vital. I think Newtek needs to buckle down and finish the job before moving on to character animation. That way, even if the character tools are crummy and/or incomplete, at least we will have a full featured renderer to work with while we wait for 10.

Just my opinion.

Milivoj-Lemonade3D
08 August 2007, 08:47 AM
Newtek's for the people by the people attitude is so refresing and great! Tnx for the free upgrades! I agree that they should focus on rendering and such and then go on to the animation side!

CGTalk Moderation
08 August 2007, 08:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.