View Full Version : changing namespace via mel

modi
08 August 2007, 10:46 PM
How do you change a namespace of a reference via mel. I looked at the docs but it gives me options of moving a namespace but not renaming it with the namespace command.
Anyone?

BoostAbuse
08 August 2007, 04:43 PM
file -e -namespace newNamespace "path for referenced file";

e.g.

file -e -namespace myNewNameSpace "C:/nameSpaces/nameSpaceTest.ma";

modi
08 August 2007, 05:52 PM
thanks but thats not what i'm looking for. I'm trying to RENAME a namespace of a referenced file, not replace.
I spoke too soon, that works. but if i have more than one of the same reference it works only on the first one.
Lets say i have a reference called PLY, i need to ref it in 6 times, and each time, i want to rename PLY to PLY_PP, PLY_OO etc

Anyone?

BoostAbuse
08 August 2007, 06:04 PM
Care to better explain that one? The only support for replacing/renaming namespaces is by using the `file -e -namespace` (when you rename the namespace from the reference editor you can whatIsh the callback script which will take you to a comment showing which functions are supported using MEL statements to alter the kNameSpace API function). Currently the kNameSpace only supports namespace changes by using the `file -e -namespace` operation unless the reference contains a proxy.

Example:

foo:cube - foo is your primary namespace

file -e -namespace bar "C:/dir/cube.ma";

Result becomes bar:cube

modi
08 August 2007, 06:39 PM
First off ,thanx for the help. let me try and explain myself better.
I have a file called PLY.ma that i need to reference into a scene 6 times.

The first time i reference this file , the namespace is PLY

I need it to come in as PLY for the first time, then i run a bunch of scripts, and then i want to rename it to PLY_QB
Second time i reference it it comes in as PLY again, i do the same, run some scripts and i then want to rename it to PLY_FB
the problem is all these files are pointing to the single PLY.ma
so with your command, it looks only at the first PLY and changes that one to whatever namespace i tell it to change to.
Hope that made sense.

russ_c
08 August 2007, 05:47 PM
Hey modi,

BoostAbuse forgot to tell you to use the -referenceNode flag to tell the file command which reference node to affect :D

your command should look like this:

file -e -namespace "PLY_QB" -referenceNode "plyRN" "C:/dir/ply.ma";

That should do the trick. Enjoy,

Russell

BoostAbuse
08 August 2007, 02:29 PM
good catch mate! I swear sometimes I need a debug prompt before posting code in the heat of a post. With that said, that should allow you to do what you need modi. Thanks Russ!

-s

katisss
10 October 2007, 02:33 PM
Is there a way to query the namespace of an existing reference?

BoostAbuse
10 October 2007, 03:34 PM
file -q -namespace "\Filepath\"

Where "\Filepath\" represents the location on disk the referenced file resides, i.e. "C:\prod\models\characters\bob.ma"

mzee
10 October 2007, 09:23 PM
In the docs the flag is not marked as queriable

katisss
10 October 2007, 08:56 AM
works great, thank you

CGTalk Moderation
10 October 2007, 08:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.