View Full Version : HMC 10: Great Blue Heron

cjewell
07 July 2007, 03:10 PM
I'm going to give this challenge a go... I'm in the middle of another project and having a really hard time pulling myself away, but we'll see what happens. I decided on doing a great blue heron...most likely in flight....still gathering refs, but I plan to start modeling tonight. Any ideas on how to approach the feathers?...never done them before.

cjewell
08 August 2007, 02:16 PM
Here's the start of my model...I plan on working more on the head and tail tonight and possibly the wings if I have time. I think I'm going to go with a pose similar to the image in my last post except the Heron will have a fish in it's mouth and the environment will be different.

Intervain
08 August 2007, 02:19 PM
great start and great birdie :) Looking forward to more!

cjewell
08 August 2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks...I see these birds on occasion in the rivers/lakes around my area and have always been facinated by them...4 feet tall with a 6 foot wingspan.

Facepunch
08 August 2007, 03:52 PM
good luck dude! really looking forward to seeing this one take shape!

morphius-ms
08 August 2007, 06:46 PM
My mothers favorite bird... Good choice... nice start too... can't wait to see more...

good luck

TheRazorsEdge
08 August 2007, 05:11 AM
Your first meshes look great! Those birds are such majestic creatures, especially in-flight! I'll be watching out for this one!:thumbsup:

As far as modeling feathers goes, I can only think of a tut of an eagle's head in the Z3 wiki. Here's the link, in case you havent seen it before:

http://www.zbrush.info/docs/index.php/Tutorial:_Bird_of_Prey

Other than that, I guess the textured plane method used for faking hair might work well here also.

cjewell
08 August 2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks for that link RazorsEdge...I actually came across that the other day and it will be very helpful since I plan on taking this into ZBrush:)

cjewell
08 August 2007, 01:58 PM
I added the wings and tail... a few more tweaks and I'm ready to take this into Zbrush. I'm going on vacation in two days...so this might be the only update this week.

Facepunch
08 August 2007, 05:04 PM
nice poly flow & you are matching the reference great. i wish i had your powers. hehe cant wait to see it after Zbrush!

cjewell
08 August 2007, 03:31 AM
Thanks Facepunch...lol.

I made some tweaks to the wings and tail...that should be it for the base mesh. I'm off for a few days...so keep up the excellent work everyone.

TheRazorsEdge
08 August 2007, 06:42 AM
You beautifully captured the pose and energy of the reference! This is already one of my favorites in this challenge. :thumbsup:

BadG3r
08 August 2007, 07:08 AM
already in a dynamic pose. this coming along nicely.
lookin forward to see the finished piece

signed what razor said

animastur
08 August 2007, 01:27 PM
Good work. You have captured the movement of the bird with much elegance.
:thumbsup:

cjewell
08 August 2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks RazorsEdge, BadG3r, and animastur!

...I'll make it more asymmetrical after I take it into Zbrush and detail it. I guess I'm going to throw some UVWs on it first when I get back...not sure if I'll have time to texture it by the end of the challenge, hopefully I will, but if not I will in the future.

cjewell
08 August 2007, 03:28 AM
I'm back from vacation, and have some catching up to do:)...I finished the mapping and took the model into ZBrush and started roughing things in.

TheRazorsEdge
08 August 2007, 09:03 PM
Again, sweet progress! Not much else to say. ;)

animastur
08 August 2007, 07:54 PM
Good work. You have thought to do a group of them flying?

cjewell
08 August 2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks Razorsedge:)

Animastur..thanks and that would be cool, but I'm running into the same problems Intervain had with the feathers on her Eagle. The mesh is too thin, everytime I try and sculpt I get the negative stroke on the opposite side. I though I would be able to select poly groups based on my mapping IDs from Max and hide/mask areas that way, but that doesn't seem to be working. I'm not giving up yet, but I'm am losing time I don't have on this issue.

RobertoOrtiz
09 September 2007, 10:48 PM
FYI
HCR MINI-Challenge #10: Animals in Motion:Post the Final (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=208&t=538887)-R

CGTalk Moderation
09 September 2007, 10:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.